Should a Select Team play Rec Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2014
Our newly formed Select Team, was told last night that the coach wants us all to sign up for rec ball to form a rec ball team as well as a select team. My concerns with this, is that the fact that our girls will dominate the rec ball Fall season. This is not what rec ball is about. He states we are doing if for the practice. And if a conflict arises between a Rec Ball Saturday game or a Select Team Tournament, we would just forfeit the rec ball. What are we teaching our kids? It's ok to forfeit? Am I the only one that feels this way? The purpose of rec ball is for those who are learning to play, find out if they do Love the sport. I'm just so frustrated. And apparently, it appears I'm the only parent that feels this way on the newly formed select team. Please tell me your thoughts . . . .

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We do not make up Fall games so any forfeits would be really lousy. Teams can borrower players, play with 3 players, anything we can do to avoid a forfeit. This alone will give your Team a bad reputation in the area.

You might be able to make having a select team play in rec work if you control your pitching and handcuff your Team a little bit. It is not easy to do and I do not know the talent discrepancy between the 2 Teams. I agree with you, this also sounds like a bad idea. This again will give your Team a bad reputation in the area.

For a new select team you might be a little bit better at the end of it but good luck having players come to your organization or recommend your team in the future.

(Playing weaker teams also develops bad habits hitting and fielding. I am not even sure your Team would be a little bit better at the end of the season. You might actually be worse)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Not sure if this is apples to apples but our 8u select team is signing up for a first year 10u rec league this fall to help develop pitching and other 10u skills. All games are during the week so we wouldn't have to forfeit any for tourneys.

Just another view.

Best of luck!

I wanted to add that we are not the only select team signed in this particular "rec" league.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
I am really against a select team signing up for rec ball. It is a way of misrepresenting yourself. Imagine how a rec player, new to the softball, would feel having to play very good, experienced players. I think that you are being unfair to the girls in the rec league as well as to the girls on your team.

Aug 15, 2014
We have Saturday games plus middle of the week games. It's the Saturday Games that if there would be a "Select" Tournament that would take priority over the Rec Ball.

Aug 15, 2014
This Team is also the All Star Team from the Spring. So yes, we would have a huge advantage on the rec teams. It's just not right in my view. And I'm upset that the coach can't see this.

May 13, 2012
Not good. Our rec dept. Spreads the travel girls out over the teams. It makes every team have 2-4 tb girls and the rest rec girls. Not the best situation but not as bad as what you are facing. At least we only worry about 2-4 batters hurting a weaker defensive player not a whole team. Like others said you will get very little out of it nor will they. Nobody gets anything out of a forfeit.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There needs to be other Teams in your area that are in the same position as your Team. They are probably entered in the same tournaments as you are. During the Spring fields are scarce, during the Fall there are plenty just waiting for someone to use them. If you can setting up some friendly games/ tourneys would be a better option.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you play up in age division and become a fairly average team, then I'm OK with it.

The forfeits are the most troubling thing you mentioned. Very selfish and inconsiderate, IMO. Not fair to 'use' the league in that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd