Shortening the stride for the drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If I understand you correctly, I'd think "less of a down angle" is better terminology. Seems like it's similar to me telling the pitcher to throw the pitch flat and let the ball do the work, rather than trying to throw it with a downward trajectory. If that is the case, I would agree.

May 12, 2008
I'm talking about what we would see in slow motion video from the side rather than what we might tell a pitcher in a teaching situation. The down spin pitch will break down. Therefore it must start at a higher angle relative to the ground than any other pitch to arrive at the same place over the plate. I'm trying to word this more clearly. Let's talk about a pitch that arrives at the plate just above the knees. The pitch left the hand just above the knee. Both gravity and the effects of the spin cause it to bend down toward the ground in an arc as it travels. Again, it left near knee high and arrived near knee high. Therefore, we know it left the hand traveling at an upward angle relative to the ground. Good so far?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom