She has a hitting coach...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
TB coaches always say, "Just make sure you let me know if she has a hitting coach so we don't give her conflicting instruction" or something like that. My DD has had 4 TB coaches and all have said this in one way or another. And now I would like to know why. Why? They all still mess with her hitting. Granted, my DD has needed help and luckily about 3 months ago we finally found an awesome hitting coach. She is still not perfect and it is taking some time to break an old habit. However, whenever HC gives her this one cue, she fixes it. When I work with her at home and give her this one cue, she fixes it. When she fixes it, she drives the ball hard. TB coach has been informed what HC is working on and what the cues are. However, TB coach keeps trying to fix her his way. She gets all confused and frustrated then can't hit the ball. Her confidence was high and now it is just tanking. She was hitting good when she tried out for the team and at the first 2 practices. Now she is looking a mess. This is very hard on a 13 yo. She was so frustrated after practice tonight she cried. I told her she needs to remember what she is working on and what her cues are and work on it at the team's practice. If she does that, she will hit the ball and then they will leave her alone. Her first few swings always start out with her old habits but if the HC or I give her the cue, she fixes it. So when she is practicing with her team she starts with her old habits and then the coach starts trying to fix her his way. I told her she needs to start out telling herself what she is working on and telling herself the cues that way she fixes her swing herself. If she does that, they will leave her alone. Then I told her if they start messing with her, she needs to smile and nod and then remember what she is supposed to be working on and work on it. She wants to please her TB coaches and she is afraid if she doesn't do what they say, she will seem not coachable. I am so frustrated. Talk to the TB coach or just do the smile and nod? Should she talk to the coach or should I?

May 31, 2012
She's gotta be able to fix it herself. Write the magic cue on her bat and have her read the bat before she hits. If this one cue can fix her swing immediately she needs to be saying it to herself the whole time she's hitting.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As a coach one of my goals is building a relationship with each player. Some are easy. Some are more difficult. If one has a private coach I would like to know and if there are any magic cues I would appreciate having that information. It sounds like you are already doing that. If the coach isnt willing to work with that info then she needs to find a way to apply those cues on her own. Personally if one of the players seems to be struggling and I am having trouble getting through I will speak to the parents for advice. I also try to provide each parent with periodic updates of each players progress. I do what I can to help each player but I realize I am not perfect. Getting additional information from other coaches or the parents can be very helpful. If it was me I would appreciate the information.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I know my dd was getting upset with a school coach on some other things. I think I was feeding the fire though. A few weeks ago I changed to "whatever...no biggie...just say ok", and "have fun." Even have acted like I wasn't really interested. It has helped alot. She even said last practice some other coaches said "she is doing good, leave it alone."

I think some coaches can feel like someone is set in their ways and they feed off trying to change it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What level TB? There will always be some TB coaches who try to "tinker" with a players swing, but most coaches go with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. I could care less if one of my players is holding the bat upside down as long as she is hitting the ball and getting on base.

Your statement, "her first few swings always start out with her old habits but if the HC or I give her the cue, she fixes it." is an indicator that you need to spend more time at home working off a tee so that her "first few swings" are already correct.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If someone who is "set in their ways" is knocking the cover off the ball, I bet a coach would not try to change it!

In my dd's case it is not hitting...and as I said..."the other coaches" (same team) said leave it alone.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd love to hear what this magic cue is.

As for the dilemma, the choice is easy, IMO. Talk with the coach.

The stress and conflict that you and your daughter are feeling is not being caused by the travel ball coach, who is just trying to help your DD hit better. It is being caused by a failure of those who are feeling stressed and conflicted to be assertive and discuss it with the coach and find a resolution. Travel ball coaches can't stop teaching a girl to hit just because she has a hitting coach. It's the responsibility of the player or parent to tell the travel ball coach is the hitting coach is teaching something different.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In my dd's case it is not hitting...and as I said..."the other coaches" (same team) said leave it alone.

TB coaches are even less qualified to instruct pitching than they are hitting. If a TB or HS coach tried to change my DD's pitching, I would tell them to go pound sand.....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
TB coaches are even less qualified to instruct pitching than they are hitting. If a TB or HS coach tried to change my DD's pitching, I would tell them to go pound sand.....

My pitchers all have PC...I don't change a thing with em. Our case...less than 24 hours after leaving NECC...well not going to get into it, all is ok now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1