SEC Tournament question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was just curious if anyone knows why the SEC tournament only allows 10 teams into the tournament vs. all 13? Since it is a single elimination tournament, it would only add a couple of games.

Does anyone know if Vandy has any plans to field a softball team in the future? Would love to see all 14 SEC teams playing!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Don't know why, but baseball was that way in the SEC long before softball became a conference sport.

Baseball is now 12 teams, but if you lose in the first round, you're out, while second-round losers (quarterfinals) get double-elimination. Softball is straight single elim.

All interesting, but I have no answers.

The softball tournament ticket is expensive, btw. Thought about going until I saw the price and the fact it's on TV.

Feb 7, 2014
Am I correct - that the tournament winners receive an automatic bid to the WCWS where as the regular season winners must wait on an at large bid ?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think all of the SEC basketball teams (men's and women's) are invited to the SEC tournament - why should softball or baseball be different since they are also single elimination? Is it because basketball generates revenue and softball operates in the red at most schools?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06