Scoring rules question on RBIs - National Federation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Have a question for those who know the National Federation scoring rules. It pertains to whether an RBI should be recorded when there was an error on the field.

I wasn't there so here's my understanding. There are less than two outs, batter hits a ground ball that an infielder lets go through her legs and the runner scores. Should the batter be credited with an RBI?

I would think so, if the runner would've scored even if there was a clean field and she was thrown out at first. But I know in some cases an error automatically negates the RBI.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know the rules, but if you're at bat when a run scores, you should be credited with the RBI, regardless of whether the error was forced or unforced.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
NFHS Rule 9-3-5 covers this.

A run batted in is credited to the batter when a run scores because of:
(e) An error, provided that two are not yet out and the error is such that the runner on third would have scored even if there had been no error.
EXCEPTION: It is not a run batted in if there is a double play from a force out, or one in which the batter is put out or would have been put out on a batted ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan