scoring errors and unskilled players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
It's scored a hit and it's time to find another outfielder.

But then where does "normal effort" come in? If she makes a normal effort she catches it standing still. It's only because she is a lazy and uncoachable and has a poor attitude that it falls in. (BTW-I'm not the coach, I was just keeping score that night, but I have coached the player.)

May 13, 2012
Scored 2 different infield pop ups as hits this weekend. Ball untouched was routine for level of play. Both was lack of communication and ball dropped. Scoring needs to include some options to mark-WTH, STUPID CHOICE, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, MOVE YOUR BUTT and of course REALLY.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Back in middle school ball, DD hits a lazy fly ball to LF. Timmy Lupus' sister was playing out there in tennis shoes and she takes one step in and the ball lands right where she was standing. DD ends up on 2B. Scorekeeper turns to me in the stands and says "Nice double"...I told her "No, that should be an error on LF". She then proceeds to tell me that since the OF did not touch the ball it was a double. I did not argue with her because my DD needs all the help she can get when it comes to batting average, but as a pitchers parent I would be pissed off if that call went against my DD's WHIP or ERA!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Back in middle school ball, DD hits a lazy fly ball to LF. Timmy Lupus' sister was playing out there in tennis shoes and she takes one step in and the ball lands right where she was standing. DD ends up on 2B. Scorekeeper turns to me in the stands and says "Nice double"...I told her "No, that should be an error on LF". She then proceeds to tell me that since the OF did not touch the ball it was a double. I did not argue with her because my DD needs all the help she can get when it comes to batting average, but as a pitchers parent I would be pissed off if that call went against my DD's WHIP or ERA!

It eventually all comes around though.

My dd lost the district final game her junior year 3-2, all 3 runs scored were due to a lazy RF not fielding a ball that I thought 90% of all HS fielders should have made. The opposing coach's dd ended up playing on the same travel team as dd. When we discussed this game, I expressed the idea that dd's team should have won due to that bad play being catchable, he pointed out the spectacular play the LF made late in the game that kept the score close. So yeah for every bone head or lazy play made out there, there is a hot shot that gets fielded, or a ball hit over the OF head that gets run down... In the end if your dd is pitching for a normal team, all of that evens out in the wash.

Jun 11, 2013
In the end, what difference does it really make? If DD is pitching go ahead and call them errors if you want so her errors are down. Maybe in HS it matters, some but even then the stats aren't verified so one team might show they hit 50 points higher than the other, but really can't hit any better. Until you are in a situation where most teams are the same level of players they mean so little.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
In the end, what difference does it really make? If DD is pitching go ahead and call them errors if you want so her errors are down. Maybe in HS it matters, some but even then the stats aren't verified so one team might show they hit 50 points higher than the other, but really can't hit any better. Until you are in a situation where most teams are the same level of players they mean so little.

Because I take pride in my work and I want it correct.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Lots of OF "hits" result from OFs playing what I refer to as hand grenade defense i.e., let the ball fall and stop rolling before you cautiously approach and pick it up so that the coach doesn't yell at them for misjudging the ball or letting it get by them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06