Schools rescinding offers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Of the many D-I players I coached in two sports, I can say that those who did not produce found scholarship money greatly reduced or pulled. In softball, I have seen it at the D-I and D-II level.
Some have money reduced after producing. It happened to a player that was PAC freshman player of the year and made 1st team All-PAC.

I had a young lady who was a 3 year starter drop by over the summer to ask what she should do. She was/is a senior this year and found her money cut in half going into this year. She was devastated.
This sounds like a calculated crappy move by the coach that she'll stay, especially if she is close to completing her degree.

There is movement underway in the power 5 conferences to extend 4-year offers across the board. PAC, ACC and Big 12 will start next year - ALL offers to 2016s in ALL sports will be guaranteed for 4 years. A few schools in SEC and Big Ten have also started.

I'm a little conflicted about it, especially in sports like softball where coaches are limited to a relatively low number of scholarships. On one hand, I hate hearing about players being treated unfairly. On the other hand, players should have to earn their way and not be allowed to slack off. It should be structured to protect both sides.

Sep 18, 2011
I would think that in this day and age (social media, internet) any coach that develops a reputation for rescinding offers and arbitrarily reducing scholarships will find it difficult to land top recruits in the future. So it's in the coach's best interest to be fair to the players. Right?? or am I way off base?

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I would think that in this day and age (social media, internet) any coach that develops a reputation for rescinding offers and arbitrarily reducing scholarships will find it difficult to land top recruits in the future. So it's in the coach's best interest to be fair to the players. Right?? or am I way off base?

From the outside looking in, this sounds logical to me (I believe in karma).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I think that many would be reluctant to call out a coach due to the possibilities of repercussions down the road. You also have to remember that there are always two sides to every story. Yes, some coaches may not be ethical. However, more often than not a rescinded offer or reduction rests on the shoulders of the athlete not the coach.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I have been told many times that when an offer is made and even a NLI is signed that the athlete is expected to progress in their skill set between then and college start. if they do not progress to the coaches preference then they will not meet the agreement.

It was also said that 3-4 years is a longtime and athletes abilities and plans change thus altering deals.

AND it was said that some of the most skilled athletes get injured in that time frame changing the deal

AND it was said that more than youd like to admit freshman are coming into the program and not making it past hell week and quit.

AND it was said that if a recruit steps in at any time and takes your position then your position and monies associated with it (deal) can disappear as fast as you can.

All this was based on the same coach being present from the time of your deal and the end of your college career. if that changes then all bets are off.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Can't remember which college coach said it at a clinic I attended, but she put it well:

When we are recruiting you and signing you, we love you. Once you are signed, we are out trying to recruit your replacement.

Sep 18, 2011
Can't remember which college coach said it at a clinic I attended, but she put it well:

When we are recruiting you and signing you, we love you. Once you are signed, we are out trying to recruit your replacement.

I just sent that quote to my DD!! It will be interesting to see how the next few years play out. There seems to be a movement towards "enhancing student athlete welfare" including stipends and guaranteed scholarships.

Here's an article that explains what I was trying to say. This pertains to the ACC but I'm sure the other conferenes have similar proposals:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...stipends_guaranteed_scholarships_to_ncaa.html

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Great quote! I just forwarded it to my DD's entire TB team!

Jul 19, 2012

This is reality.

To think otherwise is shear fantasy.

Happens at every level.

The other huge problem is the early verbal commits which never develop or regress.

I see no reason why a coach needs to stick with a kid who becomes 'satisfied' with their place at commitment time. I have seen dozens of these cases and the parents are shocked when they never figure into any meaningful plan for that program.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just yesterday we were talking about a sassy girl at the cages that is a freshman player at a D1. Our friend that pitches at another college said "oh big deal" " don't even consider that school, they are well known for recruiting and talking about 15 girls at each position into coming there, then they spend the girls freshman year doing everything they can to get rid of most of them."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors