School ball and not playing for attending a funeral

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There was no issue with girls.blowing off practice early in season and they agreed if you miss practice day before the game then you don't play.
They agreed.
I don't think these girls realized what that all meant and that even sick school absence landed you to not play.
Why?

Players blowing off practice is a good reason to lose games.

There is something to be said for playing the players who show up.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
I asked a kid last week why she had been missing practices. Completely straight-faced she said, I've just not wanted to go. I've been pretty tired lately."

I couldn't help but laugh, and said "well, that's the kind of thing that keeps you on the bench during games," and she agreed. I told the head coach and he said "Geez. she could at least come up with a good lie."

We would never bench a kid for going to a funeral.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I asked a kid last week why she had been missing practices. Completely straight-faced she said, I've just not wanted to go. I've been pretty tired lately."

I couldn't help but laugh, and said "well, that's the kind of thing that keeps you on the bench during games," and she agreed. I told the head coach and he said "Geez. she could at least come up with a good lie."

We would never bench a kid for going to a funeral.
I can't help to wonder if her parents know she has been skipping out of practices. If she is too tired to practice, she needs more sleep or to see a doctor. Aren't most HS practices right after school and relatively short? Maybe she joined the team just to get out of gym class???

Apr 14, 2022
My problem with this is will it cause another kid to consider missing a funeral etc. with the fear of not playing.
The message is in order to play you have to put practice before a funeral.
Coaches forget it is about the players and not about them sometimes.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What I have noticed being a coach in
high school, college, and travel ball.

In high school there is far more fluctuation of attending practice and games. Not only because High School is 5, 6 days of the week.
But because it tends to be put on the back burner of a lot of other reasons.

While a funeral is a pretty heavy reason.
We may want to acknowledge the importance of the funeral. But when it comes down to it, parents about their kids believe other things are equally a priority no matter what!!!
whether it's a doctor's appointment, a 16th birthday, visiting with Grandma and Grandpa. School work. Studying for a test.

This may not be the popular opinion here. And that's okay.
But...
There is the fact that we know how parents want to make everything about their kid a priority. Plus, Somewhere in there are people who lie, people who take advantage, and in high school parents will scream favoritism and abruptly cause disruption the moment they think something is not in favor of their own kid.
Immediately contacting the principal or athletic director to get the coach in trouble. This may not be a warm and fuzzy reality. But it is a fact.

I am not justifying how any coach wants to coach their team. However especially in a high school environment. Keeping things as standard across the board with everybody could possibly be the best because it makes everybody equal.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
I always chuckle over the hypocrisy of attendance in public K-12 schools. One of my DD missed a little over a week of school and the school system sends a threatening letter. So we asked the administration "What are the consequences?" The response was "Nothing."

The reality of public K-12 schools is that in a lot of states funding is based on your kids butt being in the chair. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EDUCATION. The school is a business and they need to make money to stay in business.

All that being said a funeral sounds like a very logical reason to miss any event in life.

Jun 8, 2016
The reality of public K-12 schools is that in a lot of states funding is based on your kids butt being in the chair. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EDUCATION. The school is a business and they need to make money to stay in business.
Not that I am agreeing that funding should be tied to attendance, but what does the State funding go towards? Pedicures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi