Scared at Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2012
I originally posted this in the technical section but I think it should probably go here. Sorry about the newbe mistake.

My 11 year old DD is trying 12U ASA for the first time this fall. In the past she has played on the local rec league that has players that range from first timers to OK players, the upper 10% could play ASA. The pitchers in the league were lucky to get the ball close to the plate and threw really slow.

During her first ASA at bat she was terrified. The two swings she took were terrible, didn't even look like that same person. Her next at bat she faced a pitcher that could accurately throw a slider and a drop ball, she watched three pitches go by without a swing, can't blame her too much for this since she has never seen anything like it. Her third at bat she faced a pitcher that couldn't throw anying under 5 feet so she got a walk.

Needless to say she is still scarced. I went and threw a bunch of pitches to her this weekend and she seams a little more confident. I think the best thing for her is to get her away from pitching machines, which her caoches love to use for some reason, and repetition. Just hope my shoulder can handle it.

Any additional suggests would be great. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you can ask one of the pitchers on the team if they would like to get some extra pitching practice in with your daughter batting. That would be a win-win for the pitcher and your DD....and your shoulder! From the sound of your post, it is just a comfort level and a confidence thing.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Maybe you can ask one of the pitchers on the team if they would like to get some extra pitching practice in with your daughter batting. That would be a win-win for the pitcher and your DD....and your shoulder! From the sound of your post, it is just a comfort level and a confidence thing.

I agree that she just needs to see more live pitching. I would however make sure that the team's pitchers can typically throw strikes because if they are wild it may hinder more than help your DD.

There are so many things you can do as well, like throwing whiffle balls, foamys, little golf whiffle balls that will also help her and it's not too bad on the shoulder.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32