Samantha Ricketts Two Tee Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Like Doug I used it years ago when I first started out, because I saw it a clinic and heard the whole backspin thing. Fortunately I didn't stop learning right afterwards.

We should have a confessional thread. I'm not positive, but I think I've told at least one little kid to squish the bug. Fortunately, it was a long time ago. But I've committed other sins, as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
We some have a confessional thread. I'm not positive, but I think I've told at least one little kid to squish the bug. Fortunately, it was a long time ago. But I've committed other sins, as well.

I was checking out of a store last week and the guy at the register says "squash the bug". I didn't recognize him at first but it was the father of one of our players from about 15 years ago. He's a multi-sports official now. I told him we don't teach that anymore; that it was wrong. Along with quite a few other things I'm sure.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
:(DD came home from to school today and informed me the varsity coach is forcing the girls to use this 2 tee drill and they have to hit 10 line drives before moving on. UGH!!!!! She is miserable because She consistantly hits the back ball first because of all the hard work we put in to create a deep barrel path and the coach is giving Her a rash. He actually accused Her of having a barrel path that looked like the letter C.... Can you imagine that? The letter CCCCCC... and that's a bad thing!!!! Sorry bout the rant... I know there's plenty of high school coaches reading here so I'm not going to generalize but WTF. It's not like you can take your DD and go to another team.:(:(:mad:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The letter 'C' ......

2v155rn.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tj -show this video from ffs to the HS coach. Hopefully he will move on and become the Tiger's hitting coach. Apparently Miggy could use his help. I dont claim to know everythimg or do everything correctly but I am willing to learn and willing to discuss anything. Hopefully this coach is open to new/different ideas as well.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
:(DD came home from to school today and informed me the varsity coach is forcing the girls to use this 2 tee drill and they have to hit 10 line drives before moving on. UGH!!!!! She is miserable because She consistantly hits the back ball first because of all the hard work we put in to create a deep barrel path and the coach is giving Her a rash. He actually accused Her of having a barrel path that looked like the letter C.... Can you imagine that? The letter CCCCCC... and that's a bad thing!!!! Sorry bout the rant... I know there's plenty of high school coaches reading here so I'm not going to generalize but WTF. It's not like you can take your DD and go to another team.:(:(:mad:
Its issues like these, that the number of girls skipping high school ball all together and playing on travel teams only is on the rise.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

These stories scare me ...

I never question a coach (high school or otherwise) over judgment calls, like where my DD bats in the order, where she plays in the field, whether she bunts or doesn't, how to slide, flip drills, whether she even makes the team. I'm a big fan of parents keeping quiet. But there are about five deadly sins of hitting instruction that will ruin it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
These stories scare me ...

I never question a coach (high school or otherwise) over judgment calls, like where my DD bats in the order, where she plays in the field, whether she bunts or doesn't, how to slide, flip drills, whether she even makes the team. I'm a big fan of parents keeping quiet. But there are about five deadly sins of hitting instruction that will ruin it.

I agree but i am a coach that also appreciates input. I am a volunteer and I work for the players and parents on our team. I do not teach bug squishing, nor do I advocate it, but if your daughter has been taught this and you don't want me to tinker with, just ask me not to. If you are interested in discussing it, I would be happy to share my opinions but if your mind is made up I won't bother. There may even be something that you can teach me. If so, I welcome that.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree but i am a coach that also appreciates input. I am a volunteer and I work for the players and parents on our team. I do not teach bug squishing, nor do I advocate it, but if your daughter has been taught this and you don't want me to tinker with, just ask me not to. If you are interested in discussing it, I would be happy to share my opinions but if your mind is made up I won't bother. There may even be something that you can teach me. If so, I welcome that.

I'm on board with that.

In fact, I was thinking that when my daughter is ready to pick a team that I have that discussion with a coach. It would go something like this - "As a parent, I believe my role is to support the coach and players. I keep a very low profile. But just be aware that I'm her hitting coach, and there might come a time when I disagree with something you're teaching about hitting mechanics. If so, I'll let you know and we can have an open-minded discussion about it. Otherwise, it's your team.''

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06