Samantha Ricketts Two Tee Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
In tennis you can make the ball move effectively by applying spin, so I believe it can be done in softball

re: the tennis thing, I use this many times to show how backspin myths are false (ie, physics are same in tennis (and golf) and baseball/softball).

In tennis, the easiest way to hit it out of the court (ie, as far as possible) is to hit it square with no spin at all (and with a slight uppercut) -- ie, Nike swoosh.

In tennis, if you hit it with sharp backspin (ie, backspin slice), the ball will rise over the net and then fall softly onto the court (analogous to falling softly into outfielders glove).

In tennis, hit with topspin and ball will dive into ground (analogous to worm-killer grounder).

Softball/baseball doesn't have the opposite physics of tennis.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In slowpitch softball, the big hitter do try to "cut" the ball to get added distance. But they aren't trying to do that v. 60 mph pitching!

Dec 29, 2010
Different equipment, bat barrell 2 1/4 in diamater compared to a tennis raquet which has a much biger surface (contact) area to impart spin.

Apr 1, 2010
The biggest issue I have with the "swing down" approach is also a basic physics thing. A downward barrel path will intersect the ball path at one point. This means that the hitters timing has to be PERFECT to hit the ball solidly. A barrel travelling longer on the path of the ball allows the hitter a much larger window of time to hit the ball.

I don't know that much about hitting, but this just seems right to me. I've heard people say DD is long through the ball and it always sounded like a good thing, LOL.

Are there any old clips of Samantha hitting?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't know that much about hitting, but this just seems right to me. I've heard people say DD is long through the ball and it always sounded like a good thing, LOL.

"Long through" is generally considered a good thing. If the swing is also "long to", there will be problems.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Different equipment, bat barrell 2 1/4 in diamater compared to a tennis raquet which has a much biger surface (contact) area to impart spin.

Correct. It's like comparing the jobs of a house painter to a portrait painter. There is only one stroke in softball, IMO. And it's hard as hell to master that one. Sure am glad I don't have to teach my daughter the slice in this sport.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not to take anything away from her and her amazing run as a player and a coach, but I really hate the downward swing path. It just makes so much more since to me to get on plane with the ball path and hit through the center of the ball. That's my goal anyway...

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not to take anything away from her and her amazing run as a player and a coach, but I really hate the downward swing path. It just makes so much more since to me to get on plane with the ball path and hit through the center of the ball. That's my goal anyway...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06