Safety!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
Coaches and parents need to talk to their kids about the safety that is needed for softball. On Saturday I was with my father, helping to coach a team in a tourny. We were on the field and the other team was up to bat. One girl was warming up swinging. Great, that's what every player does. But a fellow teammate walked by and was nailed in the eye. They had to forfeit the game because they didn't have anyone to replace her on the field.

Things like that should not happen. This is a 14u team and although sometimes our minds wander and we aren't paying attention, but that can't happen on the field. Luckily, the girl is ok for her condition. I don't know what all exactly happened, and I didn't get a look at her, but nontheless, THERE NEEDS TO BE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!!!! Please remind anyone about the safety precautions needed when at a sporting event. Thank you.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree, but have to ask, if the game was going on why was a player outside the dugout without a helmet if they were up to bat?

Mar 13, 2010
There's also common sense though. You shouldn't have to sit 12 and 13 year olds down and say 'don't go close to a player who is swinging a bat'

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
There's also common sense though. You shouldn't have to sit 12 and 13 year olds down and say 'don't go close to a player who is swinging a bat'

One would think, But...............I learned a saying from an old instructor at the academy.. " There is never a never and never an always"

Sep 3, 2009
...common sense... ...12 and 13 year olds...

Funny stuff there.

I've noticed a few times on our team, girls will go out before the game, to swing and warm up. Some will walk just outside the dugout and start swinging. Others, will cautiously walk out, and make an effort to walk away from the majority of the girls. Perhaps the ones who haven't been hit yet, and those who have?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan