Safety at Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Those that know me know that safety is a big part of my instruction. As a railroader, (By day) a big part of my training is recognizing potential safety risks and working to eliminate them or reduce them as much as possible. I try to take this perspective to softball and catcher training as well.

One of the most common injuries I see and hear about to catchers happens during infield/base coverage drills. The catcher shags balls at the plate as they are supposed to be tossed in. The catcher tosses the ball to the coach who then hits the ball to a fielder and then the play is made at a given base. Since the play is not at the plate, the catcher typically does not have her mask on.

The injury usually happens when the play is at third. Either by miscommunication or just the fact that the play to her is a fast-action play, the third baseman throws a rocket into home and beans the catcher or sometimes the coach. This is further complicated by lack of attention should the coach and catcher have a conversion going or someone calls out or distracts the coach or the catcher. I have seen it too many times.

Coaches and parents, please take the extra precaution of having your catcher wear her mask during infield practice and base coverage drills. The day may be hot and the mask uncomfortable, but it's not worth a concussion, permanent injury or worse... Take time to hydrate or rotate your catchers in and out. I appreciate your time on this matter and welcome input on alternative safety precautions....
-Chaz at Advanced Catching Concepts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish