Running Start- a good thing??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2013
My daughter is doing running start at the community college. I have found good things as bad.
1) She will have AA and a High School Diploma
2) It only cost to rent books
3) She is learning to be more interdependent
4)She learns to work with older people
5) She gets a clue how hard softball and school
together really is
6) She will be able to get core classes out of the way.
7) She is challenged
8) She is learning to get around a larger campus

1) She is at school with older boys and men
2) She misses connection with younger high school softball players
3) She doesn't get a spring break -Schools have different breaks
4) It cost more gas and I have to give up a car
5)She will miss out on high school activities (assemblies)
6) Not all colleges take AA from high school age kids (just wrong)
7) She can not receive top ten award or departmental at high school graduation
8)Her classes are a lot harder and drag down the GPA

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I had to re-read this a couple of times to realize what you were talking about. We have something similar, but the HS kids take classes at the HS and get college credit for those classes. On one hand I think thats pretty sweet deal, but on the other hand I can see where you are concerned too.

I would suggest keep it in perspective and look at the end result.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
#6 is what would concern me most and I was going to say that. Yes, the older men are there, but they are everywhere. You can't say that someone ever studied too much. Those HS awards (unless they come with money) wouldn't concern me.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I took a few classes through running start-all transferred to my college of choice but I also didn't take a full college load, but split HS honors and running start.

I found English easier compared to high school- 3 papers each quarter, attendance optional. Courses had a higher weight to GPA so my A's raised my GPA. Math was very different, I recommend honors math, science at high school and testing out vs college math.

Never heard of a college rejecting a AA degree from an accredited CC based on age.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
6) Not all colleges take AA from high school age kids (just wrong)
If classes are used to satisfy HS graduation requirements, they sometimes don't count towards the college degree as the colleges see it as double dipping.

Which is wierd because some high school AP classes will get you college credit if you pass the AP test.

If classes are used to satisfy HS graduation requirements, they sometimes don't count towards the college degree as the colleges see it as double dipping.

Which is wierd because some high school AP classes will get you college credit if you pass the AP test.

Usually you just have to make sure you are taking the right class for instance English 101 (Freshman Comp) or American Government should always transfer no matter what; these are universally accepted basic core classes. Also if you stay within the state university system you are much more likely to have credits transfer, out of state private universities can probably be a lot pickier about what they take...my son (home schooled) took dual track courses that counted as both HS and college courses when he graduated he had a 12 credit head start (took 2 college courses each semester his senior year).

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yes it does vary a lot by school. I was just addressing the "It is wrong" part of the post and why some schools don't view it as wrong.

Like most programs head start/running start can be good or bad but that mostly depends on the student. It's a great fit for some, not right for others.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez