running over the ball versus jumping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Situation this weekend playing NSA.

R1, batter hits a hard ground ball. Our runner jumps over it. 2B is set up to field the ball and bobbles it. so runners are safe. BU calls runner out for interference. I called time and politely asked him in what way and he just states she interfered with her. It was the first game of the tournament and I didn't want to make waves yet as I was a "guest coach" for a team that I'm not even an AC normally so I let it go. I've read some other posts and they seem to imply that it's just a judgement call for the Ump. If so doesn't the judgement have to be based on some rule and how different are the rule sets for Utrip and ASA.

This was far from his worst call (if it was wrong) but the rest were just missed judgement call. The coach for the other team actually said he was sorry to see so many bad calls against us.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The rule is so vague that it comes down to the umpire's opinion.

This is one of those rules that I bet they have done case studies and argue with other umpires about. ☺

Jun 22, 2008
Somewhere there is either a case play or clarification. Simply running in front a fielder is not in itself interference, even if you step over or jump over the ball in the process. Purposely timing the crossing or stopping in front of the fielder does constitute interference, but just running in front of does not. That is assuming the runner actually gave the fielder room to field the ball and didnt pass within inches of the fielder.

Jun 11, 2013
Somewhere there is either a case play or clarification. Simply running in front a fielder is not in itself interference, even if you step over or jump over the ball in the process. Purposely timing the crossing or stopping in front of the fielder does constitute interference, but just running in front of does not. That is assuming the runner actually gave the fielder room to field the ball and didnt pass within inches of the fielder.

Comp,
In this situation if the ump said he called her out for jumping over the ball (unless he says it was timed) could it be protested? I assume if he says that she did not give the fielder room it doesn't matter where the fielder was as that's just his judgement so nothing to protest?

Jun 22, 2008
If their reasoning for the call was only because the runner jumped over the ball, then yes you would have a protestable situation. Nothing says it is illegal to jump over the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish