Running for Pitching Conditioning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
How much (or not) should a 14U pitcher be running/jogging to improve their stamina on the rubber and how does this amount change (or not) as they progress through 16U, 18U, and college? We are thinking about instituting some conditioning work for my DD and I am trying to get a handle on how much we should do (or not) and how to work it into our schedule. Is running, say, 1 mile a few times a week enough? More or less? Thanks.

Nov 8, 2018
For me a little jogging is ok but I personally don’t use it for conditioning. Why? It builds red muscle fibers. What are they. Slow twitch fibers. You want conditioning. Do sprints at different lengths and increasing volume do build white fiber , fast twitch, and stamina.
Also volume in strength training will help build endurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Think about the rest/work ratio in pitching. The pitching motion is a roughly 1-2 second explosive movement followed by a 10ish second rest in between pitches. I would try to keep that rest to work ratio in mind when building a workout routine around pitching. I’ve never seen a pitcher breathing heavy on the mound unless they just legged out a triple and got thrown out at 3rd the inning prior.

To add for clarification - I just wouldn’t focus on steady state cardio, but instead opt for explosive movements like squats lunges and sprints and build in rest time so that each rep is the same intensity and effort.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
So when I say run hills, it is all out sprints up a decent incline. Probably less than 30 - 40 meters. They do about 10-15 of those 3x per week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00