running for P or C

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
I have 10 girls for a 14U USSSA tournament. If I bat 9, can my SUB run for the pitcher or catcher whenever they get on base (though not for both in the same inning) all game long?

Mar 26, 2013
Seems so by USSSA rules.

Sec 3. COURTESY RUNNER
A. The team at bat may use a courtesy runner for the pitcher and/or catcher any time after they reach base other than by substitution. The same runner may not be used for both positions in the same inning. Neither the pitcher nor the catcher will be required to leave under such circumstances

Spero Koulouras

Coach in Training
Aug 15, 2014
Many tournaments have modified rules such that the "last out" or "last batted out" can serve as a CR. This can end up as a strategic point in deciding whether to bat 11 with 2 AP's and an empty bench vs. batting 9 with 2 subs available to CR. Developmental teams might choose to bat everyone to distribute at bats and playing time, highly competitive teams might bat 9 and have max flexibility.

This modified CR rule is not in the ASA or USSSA rulebook, but we see it often. Also, ASA and USSSA rules are different - in ASA the CR is bound to the P or C they first come in for, for the duration of the game (ASA 10.A.3). Since many umpires move between ASA, USSSA, High School and other play it makes sense to double-check with the plate ump before games to make sure everyone is on the same page and avoid in-game discussion. When checking in for a tournament, if not in the posted rules, I'll often ask the TD or UIC "Can we use use last batted out as CR for the P or C?", "If the last batted out is a P or C can we skip them?", and "Is the CR bound to the P or C for the inning or the game?". Once in a while the answers impact the batting order, so better not to wait until game time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32