"Runners On" stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
So, DD (12 yo) had her first TB practice yesterday. She's the youngest and by FAR the smallest on the team, so she was a bit intimidated.

Her coach wants her to be in her Runners On stance all the time. She has always been taught two stances and we try to stick as closely to the NECC methods as possible. In watching MLB lately, I see that more and more catchers seem to only have a single stance, which is not the low, "down" stance that NECC teaches.

I told her, "He's the coach, you do it his way", especially given the fact that it's a new team and playing time is her goal, given how talented these girls are. And, honestly, I don't see it as a huge deal as she receives just as well (if not better) from her "up" stance.

Just wondering if any more experienced parents/coaches had opinions on this.

(Oh, and btw ... it was quite an eye opener going from 12U pitchers throwing mid-40's with only one pitch to girls throwing high 50's and having four different pitches. Her confidence is a little shot right now.)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
^^^^^^^^^^ true above

If she has the stamina to do it and doesn't want to rock the boat, fine - there's no performance issue. If not, loan the coach the NECC DVD and let them know what her catching coach wants her to practice and work towards.

Apr 1, 2010
What they said --> it will tire her out faster.

Staying up in runners on during practices will definitely help build those leg muscles.

How many catchers does the team have? If it's not enough to keep girls from catching multiple games in a day, I'd be worried that they'll get too worn out in a tournament.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I would definitely talk to the coach and find out why he wants them in th RO stance all of the time. As others have stated, it will tire them out much faster. It is one thing to use this during practice to help them strengthen their legs and add stamina. It's entirely another to ask a catcher to do this for 3-7 games on a hot day at a tournament.

Feb 5, 2013
Just to clarify, the team has at least 3 catchers that I know of.

The wall sits are a good idea.

I overheard coach talking to DD yesterday and he thought that in order for her to have a better chance at catching these girls who are throwing much harder than she is used to, that being in a more athletic position (RO stance) is going to give her a better chance at higher (remember, DD is 4'10") and wider pitches. Maybe he was thinking of just doing that temporarily, I'm not sure. I haven't spoken to him yet.

I'm a little wary of saying anything just yet. I just met the three coaches and I don't want to come across as "one of those" parents. I just found it interesting and didn't know if this was a fastpitch trend.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I overheard coach talking to DD yesterday and he thought that in order for her to have a better chance at catching these girls who are throwing much harder than she is used to, that being in a more athletic position (RO stance) is going to give her a better chance at higher (remember, DD is 4'10") and wider pitches.

First, let me clarify that I am new to teaching catching, but not new to fastpitch coaching. That being said, the coach's reasoning, IMO, completely disregards the fact that the catcher should be as low as possible so Blue can get a better look at the strikes coming in. I would never want any of my catchers blocking view of a great strike. If the statement is made for practices only, then I can see that being useful if the girl's not used to different pitches. Then again, this goes back to a different catcher's theory that is often argued: runner stealing 2nd, nobody covering the base. Does the catcher still throw? If she does and nobody's there, who gets in trouble between innings? Should we teach our catcher to eat it and NOT let the infielders learn a valuable lesson that they HAVE TO COVER during a steal? I say teach them right from the beginning and expect nothing less. This is how we build the foundation of a good team. FWIW :)

Jun 29, 2013
I've had coaches tell catchers each theory. My DD's spring rec ball coach wanted his catchers in the "athletic" (RO) stance at all times. My bro in law is a pretty successful TB coach and wants his catchers in a squat unless there is a runner on 1st or second. The rec ball coach is a former baseball catcher and thinks it helps with lateral quickness, as they get to balls that are off of the plate. My bo in law wants catchers to catch the strike first and foremost, and thinks its easier to block a pitch or get up and down faster. I did notice that the catchers legs wore out in spring ball, as others suggested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission