Runner out of baseline avoiding fielder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
That appeared to be an unfortunate no win situation for the BR. The ball was headed toward foul territory as was the 1st baseman. In that split second when she had to decide she chose to go inside because of what she saw in front of her. I get that running lane doesn't matter, but maybe she would have gotten the benefit of the doubt by heading to the outside?

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I don't understand why she is out.

The runner made a good play by moving out of the way. The ball arrived about the time she passed the 1B and there was no attempted play at 1B. If the runner didn't move she would be guilty of interference, stopping in the baseline results in the same because the ball would have hit her.

Oct 16, 2019
She avoided the fielder, once she did, she made a straight line to first...her being out seems like a blown call. but I have been wrong several times already today :)

Jun 22, 2008
That appeared to be an unfortunate no win situation for the BR. The ball was headed toward foul territory as was the 1st baseman. In that split second when she had to decide she chose to go inside because of what she saw in front of her. I get that running lane doesn't matter, but maybe she would have gotten the benefit of the doubt by heading to the outside?

There should be no need for any benefit of the doubt, the runner did nothing wrong and was not in violation of any rules. Im sure this video is going to be used as a training aid shortly in NCAA to show what not to call.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Comp Question for you: If this had been you, when the HC comes out and asks you to get help (and you know they will), are you going for help on the second batter of the game, especially if you know you kicked the call so badly that you broke your toe? Or are you just setting yourself up for a long day (and possibly series) if you do, because the HCs will ask you to go for help on EVERY close call? How much is "Get the call right, regardless" being stressed at the D1 level? (I guess that is more than 1 question)

Jun 22, 2008
Well, you are assuming the guy knows he kicked the call.

If I'm sure of my call, no I am not going to go talk to my partner just to appease a coach. If I have any doubt, yes I will go check with my partner. If the coach questions something and I realize I kicked a rule I will fix it myself, I don't need to drag my partner I to it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Well, you are assuming the guy knows he kicked the call.

If I'm sure of my call, no I am not going to go talk to my partner just to appease a coach. If I have any doubt, yes I will go check with my partner. If the coach questions something and I realize I kicked a rule I will fix it myself, I don't need to drag my partner I to it.

Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you on all counts. It was just curious (to me at any rate) that the crew didn't get together in this instance. That seems to tell me, 1) the HC didn't ask HP to go for help and/or 2) the crew doesn't have a signal that says "I have info you might need" and/or 3) a D1 umpire really didn't know the governing rule(s) in this situation.

Edit: Or the HP saw something none of us are seeing on the replay.

Jun 22, 2008
Never use a signal to indicate you have something for your partner. First off by rule no umpire is to provide any information to a calling umpire unless specifically asked for information by the calling official. Second, any decent coach is going to pick up on said signal and start questioning everything.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I've watched this a few more times.

It's important to not try to guess the the reason behind the call based on what a clueless announcer says.

I don't think this is an issue of the umpire not knowing the rules. It looks like he calls her out for going out of the baseline on a tag attempt. While he got it wrong because the runner was even with (maybe even past) the fielder, I think this is just simply a blown judgment call.

Aug 25, 2019
The running lane has absolutely nothing to do with this play, the running lane only applies to throws to first base. I do not agree with this call in the slightest, the fielder was fielding a batted ball and the runner had every right to run where they did to avoid the fielder and not interfere. The fielder was still in the act of fielding the ball when the runner was already beside her, she did not deviate any further from where she was when the tag attempt was made. Again, I do not agree with this call as the rules do allow the runner to deviate around a fielder to avoid interfering.
Good call, I stand corrected

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45