Runner on third...less than two outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
mtbama...

A couple other notes... first, the runner on 3rd doesn't have to commit until the pitcher has the ball in the circle AND the batter/runner touches 1st. So that runner can stand off the bag, do jumping jacks, whatever, EVEN when the pitcher has the ball, as long as the B/R hasn't touched 1st yet. You might know that, but wasn't sure in your post.

Second, the B/R CAN round first (toward 2nd), go (almost) all the way to 2nd, STOP, then return to first. The B/R is allowed 1 stop, but must then immediately commit to a base (1st or 2nd). Simply rounding first does not equal an out.

However, after the BR rounds 1st, R3 must go towards home or return immediately to 3rd base. Then it's just a timing play to throw to your SS covering 2nd to tag the BR out. If R3 decides to take off towards home during this time, you throw home for the 2nd out. Once practiced, it's an easy double play. My 10 yo's last year performed this play and got two outs. I don't know why someone would give outs away by the continuation play, rather than taking just 2nd base on the next pitch. After awhile, they learn.

May 13, 2008
All I made was a suggestion. The question was..."Question is how do you stop it???"... It work with our 12U team, and we pick off plays (for 1st and 3rd runners) which worked around half the time, our catcher had a very strong/accurate arm... Or, the catcher throws quickly to the pitcher staying in the back part of circle. That also helped...

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I try to entice the runner on third to actually make a break for home. I call this play "tippytoe" so all know the deal. After ball 4 the catcher gets the ball back to the pitcher immediately. The pitcher then slowly backs up towards the middle of the 1st to 2nd base line, always looking forward though to keep the runner on third in check, but ignoring the B/R. Once the B/R makes a turn and break for second base, the pitcher then makes a sprinting break to cut off that runner going to second...once she does that the runner on 3rd usually goes home as she thinks the pitcher is now ignoring her. Pitcher then fires home to get lead runner out. If runner on third stays put, the pitcher just tags the B/R out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes