Runner on base touched by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
We all know that the runner is out when the ball touches her in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. However, we had one situation where this happened when the runner's foot was still on the base. Is the runner still out? Does it make a difference if the runner is forced to run or not?

Mar 13, 2010
If she is touching the base , the run is ok and the ball is live.

Coach Al,
You are correct about the runner NOT being out when struck by a FAIR batted ball while in contact with a base.
However, the ball will either remain live OR become dead, depending on the position of the closest fielder. If the closest fielder is IN FRONT of the base the ball remains LIVE. If the closest fielder is BEHIND the base the ball is DEAD, BR goes to 1st, other runners advance of forced.
The live ball/dead ball application part of the rule is one that I have found to be misunderstood by both coaches and umpires. I've been at clinics and/or rules interpretation meetings and if the group is asked as to whether the ball is alive or dead in that sitch....a small percentage of those attending know the correct answer. The rest of the people in the audience, 50% will say LIVE BALL, 50% will say DEAD BALL.

May 23, 2010
I was having trouble finding the actual rule. Can you cite the rule (from any significant sanctioned association)? What if the runner intentionally makes contact with the ball?

Jun 22, 2010
I was having trouble finding the actual rule. Can you cite the rule (from any significant sanctioned association)? What if the runner intentionally makes contact with the ball?
For the unintentional touching, in ASA it's 8-1-E:

[The batter becomes a runner] when a fair batted ball strikes the person, attached equipment, or clothing of an umpire or a runner. If the runner is hit with a fair batted ball while touching a base, the runner is not out.
EFFECT:
1. If, after touching a fielder (including the pitcher), the ball is in play.
2. If, after passing a fielder other than the pitcher, and no other infielder had a chance to make an out, the ball is in play.
3. If before passing a fielder without being touched, the ball is dead. [Snipping the part about off base.] When a fair ball touches a runner who is in contact with a base, the ball remains live or is ruled dead depending on the position of the fielder closest to the base.
Intentional acts are covered under the interference rule, 8-7-J:

[The runner is out] when the runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted fair ball.
and also 8-7-L:

[The runner is out] when the runner intentionally kicks a fair ball that an infielder has missed.

(My book is a couple of years out of date, but I don't think the actual rule has changed.)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Coach Al,
You are correct about the runner NOT being out when struck by a FAIR batted ball while in contact with a base.
However, the ball will either remain live OR become dead, depending on the position of the closest fielder. If the closest fielder is IN FRONT of the base the ball remains LIVE. If the closest fielder is BEHIND the base the ball is DEAD, BR goes to 1st, other runners advance of forced.

I'll agree that's the rule for ASA. But it's not as simple as that.

While in softball a runner hit by a batted ball while in contact with the base is not out (unless the umpire judges that they intentionally contacted the ball), the part about the ball being live or dead can vary depending on which sanctioning body you're playing under.

For instance, in USSSA fastpitch, the ball is ALWAYS dead, no matter who it's passed or not passed. The batter is awarded first base and other runners advance only if forced.

This is one rule that different sanctioning bodies handle differently.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06