Runner Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

We had an interesting call/discussion with an umpire this past weekend that we (hubby and I) were not sure how to respond to, so would like some guidance/input.

R1 was on 2B, batter hits ground ball to F6. F6 is going forward for the ball, but stops to not run into R1. BU arm goes out, which I thought was strange, because I was thinking runner interference should be a dead ball. After play was completed and the BU made no call, time was called and hubby asked to discuss with BU what had occurred. BU said he was calling INT on runner, but waiting to see what had happened and since F6 stopped "on her own" to let R1 by then he wasn't going to call INT. If there had been contact, then he would have stopped the play.

We knew that ruling wasn't correct, but what is the correct way to address this situation? It wasn't that big of a deal in our game, and hubby thanked the ump and went to the dugout, but should we go to UIC or someone so he doesn't keep doing it incorrectly? (Or if I am wrong on my interpretation, please let me know!)

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
What age level are we talking about? Probably a had to be there situation to see how much room the runner was giving the fielder etc, but regardless of that it sounds like the umpire is misinterpreting or missapplying the rule. Contact is not necessary for interference and if he felt the fielder pulled up because there was going to be a collision then it is still interference.

Your only recourse at that point is to ask the umpire if he will consult with his partner as you feel he is missapplied the rule. If that doesnt work then you would have to protest the call before play continues.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
It sounds as if the umpire was signalling a Delayed Dead Ball. The only time this is proper for any type of interference is the situation where the Plate Umpire interferes with a catcher's attempt to pick off or throw out a stealing runner.

BU said he was calling INT on runner, but waiting to see what had happened

After this statement, you protest and get the UIC involved. Interference is an immediate dead ball and an out on the runner that interfered. The batter-runner is awarded first base. This umpire needs to be refreshed on the rule and how to correctly administer it.

Sep 5, 2012
1. Runner interference is not an immediate dead ball. The ruling is not made until all play has ceased. Additional outs could possibly be recorded/awarded depending on the situation or what happens. Any runners not declared out are returned to their original bases. Actual contact with a defensive player is not needed for the call to be made. It is a judgment call.

2. There are plenty of other instances where a delayed dead ball would be in effect:
Obstruction
Illegal pitch
Catcher obstruction
Detached equipment hitting the ball

The mistake the umpire made was giving the signal in anticipation of something happening. The reason it is a signal in the first place is so that play will continue. Only a verbal call such as, "Dead Ball" can immediately kill all play. An umpire can also waive off the call by simply lowering his arm. It sounds like this was the case on this particular play.

Jun 22, 2008
The only form of interference that is not an immediate dead ball is umpire interference. Any other form of interference is always an immediate dead ball.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
1. Runner interference is not an immediate dead ball. Actual contact with a defensive player is not needed for the call to be made. It is a judgment call.

Maverick, as Comp pointed out, other than umpire interference, it is always an immediate dead ball. Secondly, there is one ruleset whereby contact is required and it is IFA/VTD. As far as I know, that is the only ruleset that *usually* requires contact for RI. All others that I've ever called do not (ASA, FED, etc). (IFA/VTD rules are difficult on RI)

From the description given in the OP, I would agree with Ajay that the official requires a refresher at the very least.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
1. Runner interference is not an immediate dead ball. The ruling is not made until all play has ceased. Additional outs could possibly be recorded/awarded depending on the situation or what happens. Any runners not declared out are returned to their original bases. Actual contact with a defensive player is not needed for the call to be made. It is a judgment call.

2. There are plenty of other instances where a delayed dead ball would be in effect:
Obstruction
Illegal pitch
Catcher obstruction
Detached equipment hitting the ball

The mistake the umpire made was giving the signal in anticipation of something happening. The reason it is a signal in the first place is so that play will continue. Only a verbal call such as, "Dead Ball" can immediately kill all play. An umpire can also waive off the call by simply lowering his arm. It sounds like this was the case on this particular play.

I don't have the energy to type how many ways this post is wrong....

You could always simply do what I did last week. Ball is hit to my SS she goes to field the ball and runner from second makes contact with her she fumbles for the ball and runners are safe at 1st and 3rd.

I calmly ask for time, the ump walks over and I ask him simply "what is the rule for interference"...to which he says " the fielder has to get out of the way so the runner can go by and the fielder trying to field the ball bumped into the runner while she was going to third I am calling her safe".....this is rec league ball but the umpires are paid I simply replied "OK but that is NOT the rule the fielder has a right to field the ball you need to go back and read the rule" to which he said "I'M calling her safe" to which I replied "Thank you" it is a no protest league. The PU did apologize to me about two innings later but hey no use to cry over it...I always ask what the rule is first because if they don't know the rule you either a) are SOL if it's a no protest situation like ours or b) you know first thing whether or not you have a chance at winning a protest.

Which is why most umpires don't even bother telling you what the rule is they simply say "in my judgement......" at which point you just walk away.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
this is rec league ball but the umpires are paid

Yeah, and they pay the old guy at Walmart to greet you, doesn't mean they are properly trained. People somehow feel that giving money to someone makes that person knowledgeable or qualified. It doesn't, it just means you or whomever, may not have done any research before hiring some one or some group.

Which is why most umpires don't even bother telling you what the rule is they simply say "in my judgement......" at which point you just walk away.

I wouldn't tell you the rule, either. I would tell you what I saw and why I am making the call and if you choose to protest, no problem. If you want to discuss judgment, then that will be the discussion, but a rules clinic on the field is not appropriate simply because some putz who wants to argue will do whatever they can to put the umpire on the defensive and there is no better way to do that than misquote what the umpire just told you, loud enough for all to hear.

You want to have a discussion about the play, I will listen and we can discuss. You want to do a Billy Martin/Earl Weaver imitation by acting the fool, I'll be going to my position now. If you are still there when I turn around, I'm going to have extra paperwork to do after the game.

I wouldn't tell you the rule, either. I would tell you what I saw and why I am making the call and if you choose to protest, no problem. If you want to discuss judgment, then that will be the discussion, but a rules clinic on the field is not appropriate simply because some putz who wants to argue will do whatever they can to put the umpire on the defensive and there is no better way to do that than misquote what the umpire just told you, loud enough for all to hear.

You want to have a discussion about the play, I will listen and we can discuss. You want to do a Billy Martin/Earl Weaver imitation by acting the fool, I'll be going to my position now. If you are still there when I turn around, I'm going to have extra paperwork to do after the game.

I know you think asking the umpire to tell you the rule is some kind of insult but to each his own. My point is simply I like being in the dugout with my team during a game so if you start out the conversation with "in my judgement" why am I even going to stand there and argue ...this is not my first rodeo...arguing that you don't like the umpires judgement is the fastest way to the parking lot.

and who said anything about misquoting an umpire maybe you have had bad experiences with that; but if you know the rule and are applying it correctly what are you worried about. If in the first 15 seconds of our conversation I can ascertain you don't know the rule then what you saw is completely irrelevant since you don't know how to apply what you saw correctly to the rules of the game.

if you can in a sentence or two properly explain what you saw and how you are applying the rule correctly then I will grant you the "what is the rule" question is not required but it just seems like in our league your chances are just a little better than 50/50 of getting a clear, concise or correct interpretation of a ruling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45