Runner interference- maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I saw this posted by a parent on Facebook.
USA rules- can someone cite a rule or some explanation. The description is poor, so lets pretend the runner stopped in front of the SS and was jumping around solely to disrupt her from fielding the ball. His question is below.

Umpires I have a question I could not find it while looking yesterday ?

So this is what happened
Yesterday. Runner on 2nd base a grounder came towards the shortstop The runner start jumping up and down and start talking to the shortstop well the shortstop made the error runner advanced. ! I would say runner interferance. But I can not find it in the 2019 USA rule book !

Apr 28, 2019
USA rules- can someone cite a rule or some explanation. The description is poor, so lets pretend the runner stopped in front of the SS and was jumping around solely to disrupt her from fielding the ball. His question is below.

So this is what happened
Yesterday. Runner on 2nd base a grounder came towards the shortstop The runner start jumping up and down and start talking to the shortstop well the shortstop made the error runner advanced. ! I would say runner interferance. But I can not find it in the 2019 USA rule book !
I would say no call poor sportsmanship. Maybe ten years ago now ARod was on 2nd and batter popped-up to SS or 3rd I forget. As ARod passes fielder he screams at the fielder at the top of his lungs. The fielder freezes and the ball drops in. No call was made other than announcers calling it Bush League. I don’t think Joe T was pleased.

May 29, 2015
I’ll have to look up the citation when I get home, but interference does not have to be physical contact in USA Softball. Unquestionably interference — immediate dead ball, runner is out, all other runners return to their base at time of the pitch (unless forced), and the batter is put on first.

(The ARod situation occurred in MLB — different rule set but piss-poor sportsmanship at any level.)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
The interference rule talks about hindering or confusing the defense. Jumping up and down in front of the defender trying to field the ball is most certainly hindering and confusing the defender.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

So this is what happened

USA 8.7 Runner is out:

.J.1 When a runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted fair ball or a foul fly ball

The acts noted meet the definition of interference in Rule 1

May 29, 2015
MTR beat me to it ... ;)

I did miss one part ... runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of interference, not time of pitch.

Also of note ... 1) the batter would also be called out if it was a fly ball and/or 2) the trailing runner could also be called out if the act was to prevent a double play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13