Runner interference end batter/runner's AB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
At my 12U's ASA tournament this weekend, this happened three times (twice at second base, once at first) in one game.

Runner at second, two outs. Batter pops ball up over the pitchers head, as the SS moves to the easy catch, the runner heading for third crashes into her and BU calls for the obvious interference and third out.

My question: Does that complete the batter/runner's AB? Should the same batter be up again next inning?

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Rule book wording will vary between different sanctioning bodies. Generally, when hitting a fair batted ball the batter becomes a batter-runner. Thus, her at-bat is complete.

Different organizations also handle the penalization differently. For instance, in high school/NFHS rules this batter would be awarded first base and credited with a fielder's choice. In ASA, If the interference prevented a catch, then both the runner and the batter are out.

But the key here is to check the rule book for whichever set of rules you're playing under. Look up the definition of when a batter becomes a batter-runner, entitled to advance to first base. If your batter did whatever that definition says, then she has completed her time at-bat.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Damn, I was leaning the other way on this one. Thought since the runner was out, the batter's AB wasn't complete.

Glad I checked here before putting my foot in my mouth.

Finding out that the batter and the runner would be out is definitely an eye opener.

Mar 2, 2013
I believe it does. Anytime an interference is called on the offense the runner who violated and the batter will be called out.

Far from the truth. There's also confusion with terminology, which often leads to inaccurate rulings. When the batter hits a fair batted ball, the batter becomes a batter-runner. That may seem like semantics, but it actually matters in getting the call correct. The number of times that a runner and an additional player are both call is very limited by book and extremely rare in reality. The two times it occurs with any regularity (maybe once a year for me) is when a runner runs into a fielder fielding a fly ball. The other is when a runner is clearly out and interferes as a RETIRED RUNNER. However, even in that case, it is not necessary the batter-runner who is out. Rather, it is the runner closest to home who has not get scored at the time of the interference. That may very well be the batter-runner, but you must start at home plate and work clock-wise to see who will be call out. A third, and even rarer chance for two outs, is when a runner intentionally interferes prior to being declared out for the purpose of preventing a double play. You must know the difference between the second example and the third example so you get the right person out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi