Runner hit by batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
why would it not be a FC? if there was no contact with the ball by the BR (using scenario in the OP), and the IF fielded cleanly and threw home and got the out, would have been a FC, correct?
Because EVERY travel ball player hits at least .500 LOL

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And HS too, depending on who does the book. There was a team in my DD’s HS league last year. Would you believe not ONE hitter had a ROE all year?

They played us so I know that was not accurate.
This absolutely happens. Once had the other team credit their girl with a hit on a 4-6 FC (in that same game, he gave his LF an error on a double to the gap from one of our hitters).

That said, I had a one girl hit .480 and another .462 this year. I'm sure there was a play or two where someone could've disagreed with my judgment, but mostly they just feasted against lesser pitching/defense. Four years ago, one of our girls hit .636. While she was our best player, she wasn't close to as good as that number would show. But when you face a few teams with pitchers who throw ~30 mph, a good hitter should do that. Her numbers went down year by year as our program developed and I started scheduling us against better teams and left the tomato cans for our JV to face.

tl;dr version - Don't read into the HS numbers. Even if the book is kept accurately/honestly, you can still get some wacky numbers that aren't reflective of a player's true talent.

Aug 25, 2019
This absolutely happens. Once had the other team credit their girl with a hit on a 4-6 FC (in that same game, he gave his LF an error on a double to the gap from one of our hitters).

That said, I had a one girl hit .480 and another .462 this year. I'm sure there was a play or two where someone could've disagreed with my judgment, but mostly they just feasted against lesser pitching/defense. Four years ago, one of our girls hit .636. While she was our best player, she wasn't close to as good as that number would show. But when you face a few teams with pitchers who throw ~30 mph, a good hitter should do that. Her numbers went down year by year as our program developed and I started scheduling us against better teams and left the tomato cans for our JV to face.

tl;dr version - Don't read into the HS numbers. Even if the book is kept accurately/honestly, you can still get some wacky numbers that aren't reflective of a player's true talent.
Right! D D's HS team ace pitcher threw a 2 perfect games last season. Now you would think that was outstanding but it came against the team that not only was the worst in the division, but was probably the worst hitting team (and pitching) in the county.

Feb 24, 2021
Batter/runner gets first base even if she hasn't reached it yet, correct?

What if the runner going from 2nd to 3rd is the one hit? She is out, the batter gets 1st, and the girl heading home is sent back to 3rd. What about the one heading from 1 to 2? She can't go back to 1 but shouldn't be granted 2 if she hasn't reached it yet.

Runner gets first, ball is dead, runners advance one base; credit batter with base hit and give the putout (unassisted) to the closest defensive player.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Post from 2017 has taken a life of its own.

By the way DD Hit over .500. I would like to post she had 0 era pitching, sadly would not be true.