Rule question. Batters foot out of the box.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Does contact have to be made if the hitter's foot is on top of the plate when she swings for the umpire to call the batter out?

Shiloh is right. Instead of the just a hitter and the plate, imagine a slapper. If the slappers right foot is in the air outside the batters box are they out? The foot must touch down at or before contact for it to be illegal.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Puts an extra twist on the importance of toe touch...

Dec 6, 2019
Does contact have to be made if the hitter's foot is on top of the plate when she swings for the umpire to call the batter out?

And I believe a foul ball counts as contact, does it not? I often see that rule misapplied in foul ball situations. See, e.g., Carl Everett.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
And I believe a foul ball counts as contact, does it not? I often see that rule misapplied in foul ball situations. See, e.g., Carl Everett.

Yes, a foul ball counts.

Various rule sets have different versions. Most consider foot on the line is still in the box (like a fair ball), NCAA does not. Any part out of the box (touching the ground) is out of the box.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, a foul ball counts.

Various rule sets have different versions. Most consider foot on the line is still in the box (like a fair ball), NCAA does not. Any part out of the box (touching the ground) is out of the box.
Geeez NCAA, dont color outsides the lines....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying