rolling wrists at or right before contact ? nd to fix

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2010
My daughter is rolling her wrists either right before or at contact -I played college ball and have coached fastpitch now for I think 14 years but I am having a hard time fixing this problem and I need some help when she doesn't do this she hits with power but when she rolls her wrists the ball weakly rolls off of the bat with no power what so ever ? please help me ;);)

Oct 12, 2009
My daughter is rolling her wrists either right before or at contact -I played college ball and have coached fastpitch now for I think 14 years but I am having a hard time fixing this problem and I need some help when she doesn't do this she hits with power but when she rolls her wrists the ball weakly rolls off of the bat with no power what so ever ? please help me ;);)

Rolling the wrists generally doesn't happen as early as people think and usually is just a symptom of something else like casting or bat drag.

Video would be helpful.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
As Gerry will post, it is easy to fix. We had two clinics this weekend and found this to be common in young girls. Easy to spot, as most slap back with bat. As Chris posted need to look at other things, which we do first, like casting. Whip hit will Id casting and if they roll the wrists it will punish them. Many push the bat thru instead of thinking about pulling it thru. Again we demo this with a rope or a whip hit. Extension just seems to be a common problem we encounter. Most girls just make contact and do not finish the swing. Grip , if you read some of Hitter's Howard's post causes most of the issues.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

One of the girls on our 14U travel team was doing the same thing. She was actually doing it last year when she played on our Middle School team. The dad, who use to play college ball, knew what she was doing, but couldn't fix it. He asked for my help last fall and I tried to fix it with Epstein's "Torque Drill", to no avail.

A couple of months ago I go over to his house to show him what I had figured out about getting the hands flat properly. I get him to try it first so he understands how to do it and then we get his daughter to try it. After his daughter takes a few swings he tells me that he thinks it's going to fix her wrist from rolling over. I told him I was skeptical that it would fix the roll over issue, but I felt it would definitely help her hands stay connected to her rear shoulder better.

Last week I was doing front toss with her, just trying to get her comfortable getting her hands flat properly, and sure enough, her wrist aren't rolling over anymore.

I talked to the dad some more, and what we learned is that when a hitter slots then swings like his daughter was doing, it is very easy to roll the wrist into contact. Getting the hands flat properly forces the front elbow to work up, and helps to prevent the front elbow from collasping into contact. If shoulder rotation begins immediately after the back elbow begins to lower(it feels simultaneously to me), the front elbow doesn't have time to collasp prior to contact.

So, the first thing I would do is video her swing and determine whether or not she slots then swings. Regardless, in order for the wrist to roll into contact, the front elbow has to collasp. Fix the front elbow, which is tied to getting the hands flat properly, and the wrist roll will likely go away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06