RevFire / Pocket Radar recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm pulling the trigger on a Pocket Radar, but am curious to hear if anyone has an opinion on going with either the $199 unit by itself, or the $299 package deal with charger, batteries, tripod and phone mount?

Thanks ahead,
Ken

Jul 17, 2012
Those accessories you mention can be had on Amazon for 30 bucks combined. If it's the Ball coach for 199 without the accessories...it's a no brainer. Charger and 4 batteries can be had for $15, tripod for $10 and phone mount for under $5. Save the $70 and go with the unit itself for $199.....a STEAL at that price. I paid $299 and feel like I stole it.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm pulling the trigger on a Pocket Radar, but am curious to hear if anyone has an opinion on going with either the $199 unit by itself, or the $299 package deal with charger, batteries, tripod and phone mount?

Thanks ahead,
Ken

I bought the complete package but have only used the tripod once. My son actually gets more use out of it mounting a camera and taking random pictures. But if you are not comfortable holding the unit in your right hand and catching with the left, using the tripod and mount in continuous recording mode could be of value.

Jun 16, 2011
I have a RevFire in great condition that I'm willing to part with. Comes with carrying bag and two softballs. One softball pretty much new and one ball with a stripe in good condition. PM me if you want to make me an offer...

Dec 5, 2015
Radar guns measure speed at specific points in the flight of the ball. Some can make multiple measurements and can display, if so optioned, the maximum speed recorded. The maximum speed will always be at the release of the pitch. From there the pitch slows down due to air resistance. Air resistance is the only thing in this world that slows the pitch down. The power level and radar pulse timing aspects of a radar gun are critical to capturing that release point and can account for the difference found between two radar guns. How Pocket Radar or Ball Coach Radar fair in this regard, I do not know.

The laws of physics dictate a consistent and reliable relationship between the release speed of a pitch and its average speed (see Robert K. Adair’s “The Physics of Baseball” or numerous studies available online). That is, if you know the average speed, you can figure out the peak (release) speed. Atmospheric conditions and the spin rate of the ball can affect this calculation, but unless it is really windy, ignoring these two factors results in a small error compared to radar gun error.

The RevFire uses these laws of nature to convert its average measurement to the peak value displayed to the user. “Well then Mr. RevFire”, you may ask, “why is it I can measure Sophia several times using RevFire at 61 MPH and on the same pitches using a Stalker radar gun get 63 MPH. Then I switch to Mandy and consistently get 63 on the Stalker and 64 on the RevFire?” The difference is due primarily to the pitcher’s release point and how close it is to the plate. Catchers are amazingly consistent in where they catch, but softball pitchers vary in their stride length from the rubber. The RevFire is reporting the speed that is perceived by the batter. Although Sophia and Mandy are throwing the ball at the same speed of 63 MPH, Sophia has a shorter stride length, releases the ball further from the plate, and gives the batter a greater reaction time. Sophia’s form gives the batter an edge equivalent to about 3 MPH vs. Mandy’s pitches, even though radar guns show them to be throwing the same speed. At the end of the day, what matters is the time that a ball is in flight and the ‘apparent’ speed to the batter. RevFire provides this insight.

New RevFire2 technology is now in testing around the country. We do a tremendous amount of testing to develop high confidence in the performance and durability of our products. Additionally, look for RevFire 2 to integrate with other products to provide the ultimate in pitching insight and analysis.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I own both a Stalker and RevFire but could not resist the $199 price for the Ball Coach. Tried it out today and was very happy. It may not be quite as accurate and versatile as the Stalker but it is accurate enough and a you certainly cannot beat the convenience.

Mar 9, 2015
Radar guns measure speed at specific points in the flight of the ball. Some can make multiple measurements and can display, if so optioned, the maximum speed recorded. The maximum speed will always be at the release of the pitch. From there the pitch slows down due to air resistance. Air resistance is the only thing in this world that slows the pitch down. The power level and radar pulse timing aspects of a radar gun are critical to capturing that release point and can account for the difference found between two radar guns. How Pocket Radar or Ball Coach Radar fair in this regard, I do not know.

The laws of physics dictate a consistent and reliable relationship between the release speed of a pitch and its average speed (see Robert K. Adair’s “The Physics of Baseball” or numerous studies available online). That is, if you know the average speed, you can figure out the peak (release) speed. Atmospheric conditions and the spin rate of the ball can affect this calculation, but unless it is really windy, ignoring these two factors results in a small error compared to radar gun error.

The RevFire uses these laws of nature to convert its average measurement to the peak value displayed to the user. “Well then Mr. RevFire”, you may ask, “why is it I can measure Sophia several times using RevFire at 61 MPH and on the same pitches using a Stalker radar gun get 63 MPH. Then I switch to Mandy and consistently get 63 on the Stalker and 64 on the RevFire?” The difference is due primarily to the pitcher’s release point and how close it is to the plate. Catchers are amazingly consistent in where they catch, but softball pitchers vary in their stride length from the rubber. The RevFire is reporting the speed that is perceived by the batter. Although Sophia and Mandy are throwing the ball at the same speed of 63 MPH, Sophia has a shorter stride length, releases the ball further from the plate, and gives the batter a greater reaction time. Sophia’s form gives the batter an edge equivalent to about 3 MPH vs. Mandy’s pitches, even though radar guns show them to be throwing the same speed. At the end of the day, what matters is the time that a ball is in flight and the ‘apparent’ speed to the batter. RevFire provides this insight.

New RevFire2 technology is now in testing around the country. We do a tremendous amount of testing to develop high confidence in the performance and durability of our products. Additionally, look for RevFire 2 to integrate with other products to provide the ultimate in pitching insight and analysis.

Any tentative date for when the revfire2 will be available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00