Retired batter interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Was the interference called on the play back to first or the play on the runner advancing to 2nd? If he called it because she interfered on a defender being able to make a play on the runner advancing to second I can see it. The batter un-intentionally does knock the ball down preventing it from "possibly" bouncing to the catcher who now had to run down toward first to get the ball. I am not saying it is the correct call, but I could see why he made it. Thanks for posting, it is a rule I had never really seen before.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Was the interference called on the play back to first or the play on the runner advancing to 2nd? If he called it because she interfered on a defender being able to make a play on the runner advancing to second I can see it. The batter un-intentionally does knock the ball down preventing it from "possibly" bouncing to the catcher who now had to run down toward first to get the ball. I am not saying it is the correct call, but I could see why he made it. Thanks for posting, it is a rule I had never really seen before.

IMO, you are reading way too much into this. You can TWP it all you want, but you need to make your decision based on what is in front of you.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
IMO, you are reading way too much into this. You can TWP it all you want, but you need to make your decision based on what is in front of you.

LOL, thanks for the philosophy lesson Plato. I asked a question whether he called interference on the initial play or on the 2nd play as he doesn't call the out until after the first play is over (using the video as this is the info "in front of me"). This may be reading into it too much for some but I feel it really wasn't that deep of a question. I asked the question for my future reference, it may be beneath you but I was looking for clarification.

Feb 18, 2014
There is nothing other than what is in the video.

The runner is on the ground safe at the time the ball hits the retired batter. There is no play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
There is nothing other than what is in the video.

The runner is on the ground safe at the time the ball hits the retired batter. There is no play.

In the video the runner dives back into 1st base, that is one "play". She then gets up and runs to second, that is the 2nd "play". He does not call her out until after she is up and running. This is why ask what the umpire said the interference is on, the question is really for the OP only unless somebody else was there.

Feb 18, 2014
There is no play at first, the runner gets back before the ball. It isn't even close when the defender misses the ball, which is when the batter is hit. The ump calls an immediate dead ball, no defender even gets close to the ball to make a play on the runner so no play their either. No play, no interference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez