Recuiting DD for Fall TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
One guy cuts your DD, and the other guy works with your DD and makes her a better player.

Is this that hard to figure out? HC2

There would have to be something else for me to go with HC1 over HC2

That's the way I see it, but there are many parents out there who automatically assume the team that wins most often must be the BEST team in all aspects. Nothing could be further from the truth. In 10u, winning has very little to do with coaching.

May 24, 2013
California
Thank you for all the advise. DW and I are leaning towards Team 2. DD likes both teams.

1. Besides, he had a chance to have DD in the summer and cut her so a little part of me wants to say no just for that.
You need to carefully consider why your DD got cut. If you think your DD wasn't given a fair shake, then move on.

Sluggers- I don't believe she got a raw deal. Although I tought my DD was better than a few girls HC1 choose, that's only natrual as it is 'My DD'. So I think she got as fair shake as we can expect.

1. HC2 & ACs less organized about things but really good teacher.
How "less organized"? If it is too much, it will be a disaster.

Sluggers - Less organized but not bad. Guess I should have just said HC1 is just super organized.

CJ D - I didn't really have a problem with DD being cut from Team 1 during summer. Should have clarify that DD was a defensive liability at beginning of summer, hence her being a catcher at 8U. She has improved quite a bit, but far from being the top defensive player. But her bat keeps her on the team. =)

Jad - 2 years ago I would have the opinion of, 'heck I'm paying all this $ to play, it is the coaches's job to teach DD'. But you are correct, only so much a coach can do, and my favorite part of Softball is the quality time I get with DD while practicing with her.

Coogansbluff - Sorry I am long winded. DD likes both teams and gets along with all the girls. She is a very 'happy go lucky' little girl, very positive and easy to get along with. Depending on how I or DW stear the conversation she leans that way.

Feb 7, 2013
In 10u, winning has very little to do with coaching.

I would disagree with that statement. Both coaching and talent wins games. Assuming that 10U plays all the normal rules the older girls due, I think coaching is the difference maker in many games. Parents don't realize it but coaches make 100's of decisions before and during the game (what pitch to call, what location, what sign to the give the batter on every pitch, base coaching, setting the line-up, using the DP/Flex properly, setting the defense, when to pull the pitcher, when to play small ball, when to play aggressively, when to get the easy outs, etc.).

While you need talent too to execute the plays, the coaching staff can be a huge influence on the competitiveness of the team. They go hand in hand in my experience.

To the OP, with that said I would choose #2 in your particular situation.

May 24, 2013
California
Decision actually was made easier for us today. Just found out one of the 'drama' family decided to stay with Team1 after all. So Team 2 it is. Asked DD again about staying with Team2, and all she said was 'yippee'. =)

Thanks y'all for the feedback and advise.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
JAD's advice is critical. Teach them to LOVE the game and then come alongside them to teach them the skills to PLAY the game. Push but do not push to the point of crazy. Find a home for her to have fun and get to play. That said, DRAMA is not avoidable. It infects all and affects everyone's experience. Beware of Drama. NO ONE knows at age 10 who will be the next Star player by 15-16 or older. Heck, more importantly, no one can tell you who will still be playing at 15.

Jun 24, 2013
I would disagree with that statement. Both coaching and talent wins games. Assuming that 10U plays all the normal rules the older girls due, I think coaching is the difference maker in many games. Parents don't realize it but coaches make 100's of decisions before and during the game (what pitch to call, what location, what sign to the give the batter on every pitch, base coaching, setting the line-up, using the DP/Flex properly, setting the defense, when to pull the pitcher, when to play small ball, when to play aggressively, when to get the easy outs, etc.).
While you need talent too to execute the plays, the coaching staff can be a huge influence on the competitiveness of the team. They go hand in hand in my experience.
QUOTE]
I too disagree with that statement as I have seen 10U teams horribly mis-managed. For example, My DD was throwing 50+ in 10U. Problem was that coaches DD was only throwing in the 30's. He pitched his DD more than my DD and the team lost, a lot. I have no problem losing when the girls are learning and making mistakes. I have a problem losing when you don't take advantage of the talent you got. He did another pitcher on the team the same way, so it is not just the typical "My DD isn't playing so the coach must suck" type of rant. He gave my DD a bunt signal but was turned away from DD when giving it so she couldn't see it. He then proceeded to yak it up with the dugout while DD was trying to get his attention to get the signal. He never does look at her again and so she steps in and hits a double, scoring 2 runs, which we needed because his DD was getting hit all over the place. When she steals 3rd his only comment to her was "I gave you the bunt signal, what was that?". So 10U coaching decisions can have a big effect on winning.

I know when I coached 10U rec, I lost a lot of games because I was giving girls chances to pitch rather than throwing my ace all the time. I knew rec was about development and coached more towards development than winning.

May 24, 2013
California
Just an update in case anyone was interested:
Team 2 practice started last week, and I was completely wrong. The parents that I thought were going to be a problem were very nice and not causing any issues. But we got a new AC one of the returning players dad, as one of the ACs from summer didn't come back. AC and AC wife causing the drama as they don't like the way practices are being run etc…, HC & AC bumping heads after only 4 practices. sigh…..ACW was chatting with DW during practices mouthing off. DW couldn't stand it anymore at yesterday's practice and texted me at work to come pick up DD after practice and took off to get away from ACW's ranting.

DD hasn't noticed anything wrong and hopefully it stays that way. After yesterday's practice HC came over to ask if DD is having fun with new team. I told him yes, and w "You have our support" type thing without saying anything negative nor mention anything DW saw or heard at practices.

Don't want to bail on the other girls with 1st tourney 2 weeks away. Hope HC nips this soon one way or another. Gotta go stock up on sunflower seeds, looks like we'll need it during practices as well. Softball would be so much easier if there were no parents involved. lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA