recruitment questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2016
hey all,
My daughter is a 2018 and from reading what you all have posted she may be late getting to the recruitment process. She has already completed her video and player profile and we went to a college camp last week at what she thinks is her first choice school where 2 coaches were there. They talked to her afterwards and wanted a list of what tournaments she would be playing at. She plays travel ball but not on a "gold team" and was scheduled for only 2 real college scouting tournaments. The problem is she is playing at the world champs in canada and will be missing them! Obviously she didn't want to pass up the opportunity but now I'm afraid she will miss her chance of exposure with college coaches. We are signing up for individual college recruitment and she is emailing coaches but I guess my question is...if the coaches aren't allowed to contact her how do we know if they're interested? Or do we just email them her schedule and hope for the best? Or wait until Junior year? (This is obviously our first time going through the NCAA recruitment thing).

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
...if the coaches aren't allowed to contact her how do we know if they're interested? Or do we just email them her schedule and hope for the best? Or wait until Junior year? (This is obviously our first time going through the NCAA recruitment thing).

If a coach at a camp asks for her schedule, that is a very good sign.

To answer your question, college coaches will show interest by what they say to you at a camp, and they will communicate with you through your club coach. If they in fact come to your games, that's obviously another sign of interest.

D-III coaches will email you back if they're interested, but D-I and D-II must wait until after you become a junior. Someone will have to remind me of the date when coaches can send you emails and text or call you, etc.

Also, I don't know what you mean by ''signing up for individual college recruitment.'' Are you signing up with a recruiting service to help? I'm not a big fan of that, but I'm sure they sometimes help.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would suggest having her TB coach contact the college coaches on her behalf. I would also develop a Top-10 list and send an introductory email and a link to her skills video to those coaches. She needs to market herself to more than one or two schools. The best part about an online skills video is it is easy to send a YouTube link to lots of coaches.

Jun 26, 2016

To answer your question, college coaches will show interest by what they say to you at a camp, and they will communicate with you through your club coach. If they in fact come to your games, that's obviously another sign of interest.

D-III coaches will email you back if they're interested, but D-I and D-II must wait until after you become a junior. Someone will have to remind me of the date when coaches can send you emails and text or call you, etc.

Also, I don't know what you mean by ''signing up for individual college recruitment.'' Are you signing up with a recruiting service to help? I'm not a big fan of that, but I'm sure they sometimes help.

That was a typo...I meant an individual college showcase (Headfirst). I shouldn't do forums and watch Game of Thrones at the same time. :p

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I assume your are referring to WBSC Canadian Open. Got to ask why is she spending time at an inconsequential tournament in Canada and missing a college showcase? As a 2018 I would suggest she rethink her priorities.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

As a 2018 she is already a Junior if she has completed her last class of they year during an established contact period.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Not 100%, but I think coaches can begin texting September 1st of a players junior year.

Mar 26, 2013
September 1 at beginning of junior year in high school is the D-I date for both phone calls and recruiting materials (e.g. mail, email, text messages).

13.1.3.1 Time Period for Telephone Calls—General Rule. Telephone calls to an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school (subject to the exceptions below). If an individual attends an educational institution that uses a nontraditional academic calendar (e.g., Southern Hemisphere), telephone calls to the individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before the opening day of classes of his or her junior year in high school. Thereafter, an institution may make telephone calls to the prospective student-athlete at its discretion.

13.4.1 Recruiting Materials and Electronic Correspondence—General Rule. An institution shall not provide recruiting materials, including general correspondence related to athletics, or send electronic correspondence to an individual (or his or her parents or legal guardians) until September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school. If an individual attends an educational institution that uses a nontraditional academic calendar (e.g., Southern Hemisphere), an institution shall not provide recruiting materials, including general correspondence related to athletics, or send electronic correspondence to the individual (or his or her parents or legal guardians) until the opening day of classes of his or her junior year in high school.
13.4.1.4 Electronic Correspondence—General Rule. Electronic correspondence (e.g., electronic mail, Instant Messenger, facsimiles, text messages) may be sent to a prospective student-athlete (or the prospective student-athlete’s parents or legal guardians). Before a prospective student-athlete has signed a National Letter of Intent or the institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, or the institution has received his or her financial deposit in response to its offer of admission, the correspondence must be sent directly to the prospective student-athlete (or his or her parents or legal guardians) and must be private between only the sender and recipient (e.g., no use of chat rooms, message boards or posts to “walls”).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55