recruit or develop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That was a heck of a play. How long has that girl been playing the outfield? I am guessing she has been in the outfield for a while, since she is left handed.

She was our #2 P, as well. She played a lot of 1B before coming to our team. She's an "all in" player, and made a lot of GREAT plays on a regular basis.

May 20, 2016
It's pretty typical. First year 12U never really saw balls hit to the outfield and think it is just for picking dandelions and every kid should be a shortstop. Don't see many 11U teams show up with a strong outfield but they learn quickly. 10U most balls are rolling to the outfield, 12U they are getting hit over heads.

My DD is a pitcher but plays CF when not on the mound.

Unless you are the coach i'd let it be and see how it shakes out. Coach will figure it out pretty quickly.

May 6, 2015
The other thing that works is designating an OF coach, I did this when I coached and it helped a lot, spend time doing OF drills every practice and I don't mean just hitting pop flies while the infield is doing their practice, I mean tracking drills specifically, should also have signs so girls understand they don't stand in the same place they get a sign form the outfield coach.
I have always thought that during games, if there are enough ACs (this team has 4, so plenty to go around), one should be concentrating on OF (positioning, reminding them where each is going to backup, where each is going with ball hit to them, etc.), one on IF, and one on the battery. too often the ACs all get caught up watching the game. at least at 12u, if a defensive player is out of position, it is coaches fault, not the players.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying