Recommend beginner's catching equipment set

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Tom, I recently went thru this for a fall birthday. DD turned 9 and specs at 4' 8"/72#. I did as a couple others mentioned--shopped the 'net and pieced her own 'set' together. Ended up getting the 12" Schutt chest protector, youth large Easton Synergy fastpitch leg guards, and the small Easton Synergy fastpitch mask. I think I spent just under $170 to my door thru sales and am very happy with the quality of each piece. I'd rate the piece-meal 'set' as significantly higher quality and fit than the starter-kit versions and I feel it was money well spent on hassle/headache/frustration prevention, but that's just my opinion. I could have gotten the same quality for less if color was no concern, but I wanted something pretty universal and at least reasonably matching--ie no green leg guards or red helmet.

She's proud of 'her gear' and I understand you wanting to outfit your DD. Mine wants to be 'the' catcher more than ever now that she has gear, and it is actually paying for itself. She volunteers to catch pitchers at their weekly lessons and afterwards gets a 'freebie' hitting lesson for an hour with the group of 3-4. It often includes pick-up and drop off service at the house by the paying parents whose daughters she catches. Why didn't I think of this sooner!! LOL

Pics in the thread linked below, post #10. Absolutely LOVE the fit of the Schutt chest protector. Have fun!
VW

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/4309-fastening-my-lawnchair-belt.html

Tom...I don't have a lot of experience with buying gear for your DD's age, but I will share with you one of my experiences in gear size vs. growth rate. I didn't buy my youngest DD's own gear until she was in 12U ball...about the time she committed to wanting to be a catcher. (I went with a mix of Easton Natural and Stealth gear). She loved it and absolutely loves catching (She gets really irritated if during blowout games we rest her and put backup catcher in.) Last winter she grew probably 2-4 inches. After her spring 14U season started, she started complaining that her knees were hurting after practices/games. After some questioning and investigation I determined that basically her kneecap was now hitting about the middle of the top of the knee "compartment" and when going down to block, the top of the knee compartment was smashing into her kneecap...no wonder her knees hurt! I hadn't even thought to recheck the fit of her catchers gear. Needless to say, we bought her some properly sized equipment.

The moral of the story...not only make sure of proper fit now, but keep an eye on the fit as they grow.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When my daughter was 8 or 9 I bought her a pair of schutt adjustable shin guards. There is 6 inches of adjustment built into them. The adjustment stayed secure with slots and pegs and a velcro strap and there was never a time when they moved when you didn't want them to. She wore them for 4 years before we got her a new set. At that time I gave them to our 10u team as a spare set for the little ones who are trying out the position.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad