Reclassifying

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I'm hoping you all can help me to understand how this works. How is a team able to register at one classification and then reclassify at a lower level? I've seen two teams do it already this spring. One team is a very good 12B team that reclassified as a 12C and now they are stomping on the 12C competition. The other one is a 10A team that was pretty decent against other 10A teams, but now they are reclassified as a 10B. I was always under the impression that once you register at a certain level, you could move up, but you could not move down.....but I have been wrong before. Any help on clarifying this for me would be GREATLY appreciated! (Also note that neither team has had any roster changes)

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Which association?

USSSA

The 12u team has a 5-5 record against 12B teams and a 21-2 record against 12C.

The 10u team has only played in two tournaments and then a league. One tournament was ASA, so I know their record of 2-3-1 in ASA won't matter, and the USSSA tourney they played in was open with no A teams, but they lost to the same A team three times in their league. So their USSSA record shows them as 0-3 versus 10A and 4-2 versus 10B.

If they can get reclassified because of their record this time of the season, I can understand the 10u team being done, but I still don't understand how the 12u team went down a level.

Apr 9, 2012
If you havent submitted a championship roster yet or do not intend to seek championship/regional or national play then rosters and classifications mean nothing.

Not that I agree with it but ask the commissioners-youll get this answer

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Are you sure they were reclassified? Could be they registered 12C but were playing up to get better.

I know they were a 12B team because a friend of mine has a daughter on the team and I always try to keep up with the teams where I know the players. I saw it about a month ago and was shocked when I saw they had changed to a lower division because they really are a pretty decent team.....definitely not a C team. I asked my friend why or how they changed to a C team and she said some of the parents weren't sure, but that maybe it was just a coach's decision.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know it's hard but I never worry about teams moving down to win games. They aren't accomplishing anything by that move. Keep playing a lower class and pretty soon that's how you will play. Regressing.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Baseball organizations do a pretty good job of classifying their teams and making adjustments during the season, but softball is pretty much "self classification" by the head coach. Good tournament directors will try to police it, especially if they specialize in lower level tournaments, because they don't want a coach "sand bagging" and running off all his other C-teams.

The problem in softball is a lack of teams. There usually are not enough teams to fill every classification every weekend, so coaches have to make a decision to "play up" or "play down" in order to find a good tournament. I have also found over the years that it is very easy to get caught in "no man's land" in softball. You can be a really good B-team and win a lot of B-level tournaments, and still get your azz handed to you when you play A-ball. It is a coaching dilemma on whether to continue to play B and win, or play A and lose!!!! Most coaches try to find a happy balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207