Rec level question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2021
Just curious how many coaches have had multiple parents, sometimes from the same family, coaching from the foul line fences for rec level teams? Any suggestions for handling it? I feel like if you have a player receiving 4 different "suggestions" all at once it isn't very constructive.

Feb 20, 2020
If they are nice people, ask them to come to practices and join your staff. Or ask one to track something during the game. if you flatter their expertise, then they are less likely to just throw stuff out during a game. And if you disagree with their advice, then you can help guide them to where you want to go.

If you have a confrontation, it will go bad. So try to put the onus on them to help the team improve in one way or the other.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Ever been to a kids soccer game??? I've watched people who rarely raise their voices for any other reason scream at their kids and the officials (who are also often kids) the entire time. For the most part, softball is pretty tame by comparison.

That said, leadership vacuums in kid's sports invite chaos, and if you show some strength early on, most will get onboard. I used to throw it out at the first parent meeting that I welcomed help (on my terms), but wouldn't compete with them as far as who their kid listened to. Most Rec leagues aren't overflowing with competent parent coaches, and what wasn't quite said out loud was that they were welcome to go elsewhere. That didn't silence everything, but you'd be surprised how quickly many kids tune out what comes from behind the fence.

If you have a confrontation, it will go bad.

That depends on a number of variables, and your definition of "bad". Parents sometimes walked away unhappy with what they heard, but they always walked away. ;)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was attending my Bro in law's kid pitch Allstar game last night. His kid comes up to bat and tells him to swing earlier. So he does and whiffs. 1st base coach tells him to stay back and wait on it. I chuckled out loud. No one but me saw the irony. Next pitch his kid swings earlier and hits a weak dribbler to first base. Saw two kids hit bombs over the fence. End score: 23-22

Mar 8, 2016
May be too late now but i would enlist 2-3 parents to help at practice. They were parents who I knew. I would email the assistant coaches before each practice with a written practice plan and ask for suggestions. While the kids were throwing you could discuss each station for practice and what you wanted to accomplish. This kept the parents most likely to be coaching from the sideline involved in the plan.
I would also have a parent meeting at the beginning of the season and talk to the parents about coaching philosophy and team management items. One of the key things to go over is how important it is to have the kids only having to listen to one voice so they don't get confused and distracted.
I will not say it always worked but I think it certainly helped. Everything I have learned about coaching I have stolen from watching other coaches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I coach hockey and didn't realize how much I should cherish the glass. Softball is relatively so much different and I can't imagine what soccer would be like based on your description @Strike2 . This is my first year coaching softball and it has been a bit eye opening and I've been able to grow/refine because of it. Just didn't expect this kind of a challenge.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Just curious how many coaches have had multiple parents, sometimes from the same family, coaching from the foul line fences for rec level teams? Any suggestions for handling it? I feel like if you have a player receiving 4 different "suggestions" all at once it isn't very constructive.
Rec ball players normally have rec ball parents. Everyone vibrating with beginners' apprehension and excitement. Gotta love them all. :love:

Jun 8, 2016
I have a parent on my 7u coach pitch team who stands as close as he can to his son and then coaches him before every pitch. I have to wait till he is done coaching before I can pitch the ball and a few times I had to stop mid motion because he turned his head to listen to his old man..I’ve come close to letting one loose right at the father a few times...

There was a reason I didn’t want to coach and only did it because my son wouldn’t have been able to play if I hadn’t volunteered...

May 2, 2021
Just about every season we have a parent coaching from the sidelines, once I know who they are I pull back and let the parent coach their own kid. It's rec league so it's not worth the confrontation and it does not help the kid to have two different sets of instructions. I can always pull the player aside and discuss the best move for the particular situation for the next time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom