Rec. 11 YO DD Reassigned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been reassigned to a different Team than she was on last year, kind of understand what happened and I know it gets awfully complicated trying to keep everyone happy. Seems like we fall on the bottom of keeping people happy list but admit that is probably not true. We liked last years HC. Let the fun and games begin on what Team you were assigned to.

It is all going to work out. DD has been on the couch for the last 5 months and I think she is going to start practicing again next week, we will see if she can catch up.

I am already in a better mood then last night when I found out what happened. DD is not allowed to C, I am trying to figure out if I want to work on catching and help or not be involved with DD’s Team at all. I have never been involved in catching too much so we can learn together or I can ignore the whole thing and complain on this board. I’m leaning towards just complaining on this board.

DW is causing problems now with another parent trying to get their DD on our Team. :)

End rant.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not drafted, reassigned.

Some god panel decides who plays where.

To be fair I was upset last night and was told DD could play for her old Team if it was an Issue.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Rec ball should be about creating balanced teams - if one team is dominate it means there is a flaw in the way teams are chosen. Rec ball coaches need to realize that being the best team in rec ball is like being the skinniest kid at "fat camp".......

A draft, IMO, where all players are observed in assessments before being drafted then coaches get to select them is the best way. The "god panel" works as long as the people have God's wisdom....not likely.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Our association holds a draft and works hard to make the teams even. I don't think it is good to have the same coach and the same team together in rec every year. It can become unbalanced and damage the program; not to mention creating coaches that have a deep sense of entitlement.

Mar 18, 2013
A draft, IMO, where all players are observed in assessments before being drafted then coaches get to select them is the best way.
That's how our local rec program does it. After they make sure that each team has a pitcher and siblings are placed on the same teams (if requested) the coaches take turns drafting their teams. Seems to work ok.

Feb 10, 2013
JAD , I love your quote about the "skinny kid at fat camp" That was awesome..still laughing....;)....May I borrow it...It would fit perfect in our REC system...LOL

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD hasn't played rec. for many years so we hadn't been to many rec. games. There is a local 10 year old kid who idolizes DD and asked her to come watch her play last week. I was stunned at the skills difference between the teams, both from the same town. One team had 2 awesome pitchers, the defense were all able to easily field the ball and make good throws and most of the kids could hit the ball. The other team had 2 pitchers who could barely get the ball to the catcher, the defense couldn't field a grounder and a couple kids could hit.

In talking to a couple of the parents of the less skilled team, I learned that there is a draft. Supposedly the players of the better team were told by their parents to "dumb down" their performance during tryouts so they had a better chance of being on the same team. I don't know this to be a fact and don't really care. If this is a fact and what actually happened, I hope the parents and coaches of the better team are embarrassed by what they are teaching their children.

These kids are amazingly resilient though! The girl that invited DD to come play asked her coach if DD could come into the dugout for a "pep talk". DD was introduced as the star pitcher for her HS. She talked to them about playing the best they could, regardless of the score and regardless of what they have heard about the other team. After the pep talk, one of the girls asked DD for her autograph. She had no paper so DD signed her arm. After she signed, she looked up to see 11 more little girls lined up with their arm ready for a signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole