Random act of Class....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2010
While playing in the championship game this weekend in a large Memorial Day weekend tournament (40+ 12U teams), we were pleasantly surprised by what happened after an incident on the field. This after watching the Texas - Oregon game during the same weekend....

We were down 1-3 in the 5th inning. With a runner on 1st the batter lines a double to deep center. The runner on first gets the wave to advance to third. The runner makes a great slide while the ball is coming into third and the runners arm inadvertently hits the third basemans glove during the slide, dislodging the ball. The runner is called safe because the ball is on the ground. No interference is called. it was a hard slide and the runner is on her knees on the base because she wrenched her back. After the safe call is made, the third baseman picks up the ball in her glove and with both hands slams them as hard as she can on the runners head knocking the runner back down to the ground. Our Head Coach is at third and is losing his mind about what just happened. None of the three officials witness the act because all three had turned their attention to the runner who had hit the ball was completing her run to second base. While our runner at third was trying to recuperate from the hard tag, the third baseman is smiling and laughing with her short-stop.

I think the third baseman was frustrated and lost her temper. Well as you can imagine, our bench went ballistic and the energy level went through the roof. It was the spark they needed to rally for the come from behind win.

Now the random act of Class. - After finishing the inning inwhich the incident happened, the opposing team pulled the third baseman from the rest of the game. They didn't have to do this. This was the championship game and the third baseman had made big plays previously. They were ahead and just needed to hold on for two more innings for the win. Their decision to pull the player for her actions spoke volumes for their teams and their organizations character. It was great to see this type of play still exists. It's nice to know that coaches still love this sport and the life lessons it can teach our young ladies!

Here's hoping that all of us will look to their example. I applaud them!

3sDad

Wow...Glad she got what was coming to her...I PROMISE you a kid on our team does something like that, just being mean will have exactly how long it takes for our head coach to get to her before she will be required to go to the ladies room take off her uniform and turn in what team stuff she has because she would be done with our organization, regardless how good she is or who her Mummy and Dada are...We don't need bad sportsman in our organization...If MY kid did that...she will not like the results...that she can put in her will....

Look what the TX team NOW looks like...their attitudes on National TV set their recruiting back years...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have started to go to a not well maintained softball field for our practices, on Tuesday when we get to the field the other city club is already there. To say there are some hard feelings between the 2 clubs in an understatement. We are trying to figure out what to do when the HC sees us and comes over and says something along the lines of we are just like you we are looking for a place to practice. Let’s figure out how to spilt up the field so we can both practice.

There is more of this attitude, class, between the 2 organizations then not. It just gets lost in all the other noise.

Jan 20, 2010
I would not have waited till the end of the inning, I would of pulled her right then and there. Heck I would of even considered putting in a girl who is not use to playing 3rd in her place to show her actions have reactions.....I will sit a girl if she gives the umpire a dirty look on a bad call. Life lessons, respect goes a lot further in life than attitude.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
pulled the third baseman from the rest of the game. They didn't have to do this.

I applaud them also if the pull was indeed an act of class.

Other side of the coin is they pulled her knowing Chin music is coming her next time in the batters box. Pitchers don't forget when a player disrespects one of their own, trust me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez