Quick pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
actually, if pitcher is ready and ump indicates to pitch, it's the batters job to be ready.
Disagree. It should be rare that umpire indicates to pitch. that would only be after a stoppage of play. Umpire shoud also not tell the pitcher to pitch if the batter (and others) are not ready. The USA rule (which is similar in many other sanctions including NFHS and NCAA) is that it is considered a No Pitch.....
  • When the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken a position in the batter’s box or when the batter is off balance.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Going to give @Lance Steckler the benefit of the doubt on his intent ...

As Jack said, the umpire generally should NOT be directing the pitcher to pitch unless resuming after a stoppage of play.

I’m thinking (hoping) Lance may be referring to a hitter who is taking too long to get set. In that case though, an umpire definitely should NOT direct the pitcher to pitch. The umpire should declare a dead ball and award a strike to penalize the hitter. This is explicit in the rule books of every major rule set.

Instructing a pitcher to pitch to a batter who is not ready is a huge safety and liability concern. NEVER tell a pitcher to pitch to an unprepared hitter. You may as well tell her to hit the bull mascot who is equally ready.

Jan 7, 2012
TMIB and jackfrost are 100 % correct. It’s a litigious world we live in. Nothing should happen until the umpire is ready.Part of that is ensuring not only the batter but also everyone else involved in the game is safe and aware of what’s about to happen. Thats why we take a step or two back between pitches. Not only to reset and recharge but to quickly observe batter, coaches , on deck batters, fielders positions and also field conditions.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
seen it many times. pitcher has sign. Ump has taken place behind catcher, indicated to pitcher to pitch, and batter is in box kicking dirt, etc. Pitch the ball.

May 6, 2015
seen it many times. pitcher has sign. Ump has taken place behind catcher, indicated to pitcher to pitch, and batter is in box kicking dirt, etc. Pitch the ball.
I see two things about this

1-if batter is kicking dirt in the box, U should not be giving signal to pitcher

2-signal to pitcher is never "to pitch", it is, "you may pitch" pitcher can step off, wipe dirt on their hands (wiping on pants after of course), may ask for count, may ask coach how many outs, .

Jun 20, 2015
I hear what you say, but I've seen it happen A BUNCH of times over the years. pitcher on rubber, ump behind catcher, catcher ready, ump points to pitcher indicating go or ready, and batter is doing whatever in the box. and here comes the pitch.

Oct 11, 2018
I hear what you say, but I've seen it happen A BUNCH of times over the years. pitcher on rubber, ump behind catcher, catcher ready, ump points to pitcher indicating go or ready, and batter is doing whatever in the box. and here comes the pitch.
Last summer (18U state tournament) I was BU at SS position. Runners on 1st & 2nd. I check pitcher, I check my runners and swivel my head back to pitcher and she is into her wind-up. Batter has bat touching the ground, adjusting grip and not even looking at pitcher. PU doesn't have his mask on but rushing to get behind plate. I threw both hands up, yelled No-Pitch so everyone heard. When pitcher stopped, I took couple steps forward and said, please wait till the batter is ready. Needed to be done.

Coach came out to whine to plate ump. Pointed at me a couple of times but never came out to me. I spoke to my partner when we walked off field. He was relatively new but actually very good. We discussed the play and I clarified the rule for him on Quick Pitch - No Pitch.

First time I ever did that but would do it again.

Jun 20, 2015
i hear you. and in your above example i agree, "no pitch" is correct call.

I'm talking when the plate ump has signaled for pitcher to pitch. At that point, it is not on the pitcher to verify batter is ready.

Oct 11, 2018
i hear you. and in your above example i agree, "no pitch" is correct call.

I'm talking when the plate ump has signaled for pitcher to pitch. At that point, it is not on the pitcher to verify batter is ready.
It is on the pitcher to wait till the batter is ready. The umpire is signaling the ball is live. Pitcher still has to make sure she does not violate any pitching rule including the Quick Pitch violation.

I'm not going to argue that every umpire understands the process. I see too many quick pitches allowed when i am watching as a spectator, especially when time is running out in a timed game..

May 29, 2015
@jackfrost just made a good point that I had not properly considered from an observer’s perspective:

Umpires do not signal for the pitcher to pitch. We signal that the ball is live. I had mentioned it is a signal to resume play, but I didn’t thoroughly break that down in my head (or keyboard).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez