Question: How do you beat a good pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Bunting!!! My daughter plays 12u rec/travel. Normally no one can get around on her in rec. If they do, it is usually a travel ball player. That's when she has to become a pitcher and not just work on her reps/spots. Just Saturday, one team bunted on us all game. My daughter didn't fault them for doing what any team would do but did get frustrated with the errors. We lost because of errors. A bunt should not end in a home run!!! Just remember because one may have a good pitcher, does not mean the entire team is on the same level. And if the pitcher is that good, the field probably does not get much action.
If a team's strategy is to bunt an entire game, then why not defend the bunt the entire game? Bases loaded, bunt, star pitcher fields ball and steps on home plate for the out.

May 21, 2012
If a team's strategy is to bunt an entire game, then why not defend the bunt the entire game? Bases loaded, bunt, star pitcher fields ball and steps on home plate for the out.

That sounds easy but honestly - third base was playing so far up - no way my DD would have gotten to it first... I think the girls were so stressed out by the game - they all just weren't in it... And after my daughter got frustrated, she lost her mechanics (threw strikes but did not dominate). It's something she personally has to work on in order to become the pitcher she hopes to. Lessons learned all around!!!

PS - tomorrow's practice will be focused on the letter "B" for bunt... Learn to field it and learn to hit it!!!

May 20, 2013
I'm a 10U rec coach and we're facing the same situation this week in the 2nd game of our playoffs. We faced this pitcher once earlier in the season and the girls were really scared of her. I believe we only put 3 balls in play. She will walk some batters if we're patient, but a lot of the girls swing at balls way out of the strike zone. I have been working a good bit on bunting and plate discipline. We plan to bunt and fake bunt in the next game to try to rattle her a little. We just have to find some way to get some base runners. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie