Question for the scholarship gurus....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have a question for the scholarship gurus on this board. If my DD went to junior college for two years, worked out with the team, but did not play, then transferred to a D1 program and played her junior and senior years, would she still have two years of eligibility left for graduate school?

I would LOVE to figure out a way for my DD to get a masters degree through softball!

Dec 7, 2011
good question - no idea - I bet that it ALL has to do with the "4 years of eligibility" BUT maybe getting "the ride" across a masters might get more difficult (unless she's the star player on the program).

Just my guess.

Mar 26, 2013
It would take a waiver of the 5-year rule. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period.

Do you know a JuCo coach that would allow her to work out with their team knowing she won't play for them? How is she going to get recruited by a D1 to get an athletic scholarship?

I think your best bet is to approach this from the academic side. Here are a few possibilities:
- For some majors, graduate programs offer scholarships and also pay the students for TA'g and/or research work.
- Find a college that offers a 5-year program to get the bachelor and masters degree.
- Enter college with lots of college credits from AP and/or JuCo classes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It would take a waiver of the 5-year rule. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period.

Do you know a JuCo coach that would allow her to work out with their team knowing she won't play for them? How is she going to get recruited by a D1 to get an athletic scholarship?

I think your best bet is to approach this from the academic side. Here are a few possibilities:
- For some majors, graduate programs offer scholarships and also pay the students for TA'g and/or research work.
- Find a college that offers a 5-year program to get the bachelor and masters degree.
- Enter college with lots of college credits from AP and/or JuCo classes.

This is correct, the five year clock starts ticking soon as you enroll FULL-TIME at any college institution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g