Question for the high school parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
as a parent you need to stay out of it. My DD is the starting pitcher and plays SS for a top regional national team. this was her freshmen year last year. Her HS coach told her she is to short to pitch and play infield she's 5'6" throws 60-63 spins. she sat in the outfield and had the highest batting average on the team. he kept trying to use her as an example of how not swing the bat. the guy is a meat head. it was really hard, but i just kept my mouth shut all spring. good luck and have very low expectations.

Wow. 5'-6" isn't even considered "short". That coach made it very clear that he has no idea what he's talking about, and has unjustified prejudices. Adjust accordingly.

You could pile him with examples of girls shorter than your DD who have been successful at the highest levels of the game, but it probably wouldn't do anything to change his mind.

Jun 20, 2015
girl shows up to HS and throws 60-63 MPH and is relegated to the outfield cause she's too short? WTH?? Just who the heck is the starting pitcher???? Jennie? Monica? Amanda?

needs a check with reality.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My HS has a coach who told our leadoff slapper that she wasn't allowed to walk/run while swinging. He told her it was against the rules. That was in 2017. The player went on to win All-County two years in a row and now plays in college. Sadly, the coaches are still there for my daughters. He doesn't even try and call pitches. In fact, he has no interest in doing so.

The moral of the story is you get some really bad coaches in HS ball. Most are teachers looking for the extra $$$. The worst part is we have a coach in our division who coached D2 softball for 20 years until the school merged their campuses. He will outcoach our coaches so badly that I am concerned we could lose a game to them that we should not lose.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Complaining about High School Softball is kind of like complaining about poor customer service at Walmart. You need to adjust your expectations and look at it as rec-ball with an abundance of team spirit. If you are a serious player make the most of it and remember it is all about mind over matter. Do not mind it because it really does not matter. If you want to play in College the only thing that matters in High School is your grades. High School Softball is not a factor.

Apr 17, 2019
Complaining about High School Softball is kind of like complaining about poor customer service at Walmart. You need to adjust your expectations and look at it as rec-ball with an abundance of team spirit. If you are a serious player make the most of it and remember it is all about mind over matter. Do not mind it because it really does not matter. If you want to play in College the only thing that matters in High School is your grades. High School Softball is not a factor.
You’re spot on and probably one of the reasons hs is like this is because coaching. I’d like to see more qualified women coaches (former college players), the sport is too full of dad coaches that do no teaching and only care about plastic figurines.

May 16, 2019
I am just an average high school coach with less knowledge than the parents in the stands, but I absolutely love coaching HS softball with all my heart. My goal is to help my team fall in love with H.S. softball in spite of all the negativity that's associated with it and myself as a high school coach. I have been insulted and yelled at by parents and hated by players . Told by my players and parents that , I don't know hitting or pitching the advanced stuff, but that I'm good with the beginners. When your DD gets to college her high school experience is the closest thing to college softball life except mommy and daddy will not be there to run interference. I've done my fair share of saying and doing stupid things in the past and I'm sure I'll do more until I finish. We are all in this together and really trying to make the best experience of it all because like it was said HS ball doesn't matter..... just to me and my team... because if you don't love it, you will not be on my team...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles