Question for the high school parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am just an average high school coach with less knowledge than the parents in the stands, but I absolutely love coaching HS softball with all my heart. My goal is to help my team fall in love with H.S. softball in spite of all the negativity that's associated with it and myself as a high school coach. I have been insulted and yelled at by parents and hated by players . Told by my players and parents that , I don't know hitting or pitching the advanced stuff, but that I'm good with the beginners. When your DD gets to college her high school experience is the closest thing to college softball life except mommy and daddy will not be there to run interference. I've done my fair share of saying and doing stupid things in the past and I'm sure I'll do more until I finish. We are all in this together and really trying to make the best experience of it all because like it was said HS ball doesn't matter..... just to me and my team... because if you don't love it, you will not be on my team...

The bold part is why you're most definitely above average. I wish Maddie could have played her HS career with a coach like you. Even better would have been you, specifically.

Oct 26, 2019
I am just an average high school coach with less knowledge than the parents in the stands, but I absolutely love coaching HS softball with all my heart. My goal is to help my team fall in love with H.S. softball in spite of all the negativity that's associated with it and myself as a high school coach. I have been insulted and yelled at by parents and hated by players . Told by my players and parents that , I don't know hitting or pitching the advanced stuff, but that I'm good with the beginners. When your DD gets to college her high school experience is the closest thing to college softball life except mommy and daddy will not be there to run interference. I've done my fair share of saying and doing stupid things in the past and I'm sure I'll do more until I finish. We are all in this together and really trying to make the best experience of it all because like it was said HS ball doesn't matter..... just to me and my team... because if you don't love it, you will not be on my team...
Amen. I will staunchly defend high school softball and its merits. If you were in a good program like it sounds like yours is that it’s one of the few times that it’s about the team and not about you which travel ball has definitely become

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes, I agree, definitely inappropriate.

Though, my brother literally texted me this last night:
"Coach Atkins talked to me after I gave up a wind blown HR to Brian Buchanan (like 330 ft) and asked me if I still wanted to be a D1 pitcher. On the mound"

I think this approach requires a level of familiarity and comfort between coach and player, and it only can be done with certain players.

Some players need love. Some need tough love. Some need you to lighten the mood with a sarcastic joke. Some need different things in different situations.

The coach's big mistake is taking that approach with a player he doesn't know yet.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ya I don’t plan on saying anything, when he says something about her shirt, and other girls had non school shirts on and not even the right colors, I asked if he was messing with her. She said she didn’t know so I told her he was probably joking around or trying to.

The snide comment I just told her to ignore it, and not let it bother her people will always say things that you don’t like and you just have to ignore them.
She’s a freshman? Sounds like he is trying to figure out if she is mentally tough enough for varsity. Some coaches let things slide for those who don’t have what it takes. Or is it possible you don’t know what the coach said to the other girls?
If I were you I would take a step back and let your dd handle this. Nothing you mentioned requires a parent to “handle” anything

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You’re spot on and probably one of the reasons hs is like this is because coaching. I’d like to see more qualified women coaches (former college players), the sport is too full of dad coaches that do no teaching and only care about plastic figurines.
Moms are more then Welcome to start a team and run it anyway she likes. I have a problem with “daddy ball” I don’t have a problem with parents coaching.

95% of all softball players have benefited at one time by a parent who gave up a lot of his free time and money to make a team happen for their kid and others.

The more I read the more I am starting to understand the picture here.

Jan 28, 2017
Not sure the age of your DD. This is my DD 2nd year playing varsity and she is still 15, which means she can't drive. HS coaches sometimes change practice thinking all the girls have cars. It works out for us but it is difficult at times with last minute changes.

Apr 17, 2019
She’s a freshman? Sounds like he is trying to figure out if she is mentally tough enough for varsity. Some coaches let things slide for those who don’t have what it takes. Or is it possible you don’t know what the coach said to the other girls?
If I were you I would take a step back and let your dd handle this. Nothing you mentioned requires a parent to “handle” anything

I never planned on interfering, I’ve let her Handel everything. This post was more about parents dealing with it, not necessarily interfering by having it out with the coach.

Moms are more then Welcome to start a team and run it anyway she likes. I have a problem with “daddy ball” I don’t have a problem with parents coaching.

95% of all softball players have benefited at one time by a parent who gave up a lot of his free time and money to make a team happen for their kid and others.

The more I read the more I am starting to understand the picture here.

Whether you want to admit it or not, woman can relate to young girls much better then men. Most men do not understand girls are different then boys. On top of that someone who has played college softball, and actually teaches the game is invaluable. I’ve seen too many dumb coaches yelling at a 8 yo kid instead of teaching them how to fix their mistake they just made. A coaches job is to improve his/her players, not win a trophy. You improve your players a trophy will be the result.

May 17, 2012
Whether you want to admit it or not, woman can relate to young girls much better then men. Most men do not understand girls are different then boys. On top of that someone who has played college softball, and actually teaches the game is invaluable. I’ve seen too many dumb coaches yelling at a 8 yo kid instead of teaching them how to fix their mistake they just made. A coaches job is to improve his/her players, not win a trophy. You improve your players a trophy will be the result.

Some of the worst coaches I have seen were former D1 players. I see teams advertise this all of the time, coached by former college player that played at so and so.

You are just rolling the dice there in what you will get.

At least he dad coached teams are vested in the teams success. Hired college coaches that are there for the summer can be a circus.

Just my observations...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01