Question for coaches - from parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well put. They do not say Defense wins championships in most all sport for no reason! We here it all the time. We see it all the time. We all spend so much time enthralled in the Pitching battles we watch in the collegiate level (which is part of Defense)...So why is it that in so many younger ages all we here about is how hitting earns playing time.....

Good points, although I still think when filling those final roster spots, I'd go w/ the hitter. I think it's a case of supply and demand. It's easier to find/develop three pretty good outfielders than it is to find/develop three pretty good hitters to bat 7-8-9, IMO. Now, if you're talking about a fielder who's going to be your starting SS or C, that's another thing. But if I have a choice between a girl who's going to be my 6th best hitter or my 6th best fielder, I think the 6th best hitter would help me more. All I have to do is looking at the batting averages of the girls batting 8-9-10. Good topic for debate, though.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I will shut up now. They noticed her. She had a great round robin performance on Sunday and played every game (as pitcher or 1B). First game, she batted last in line-up...hit a single and triple (to the freakin' fence CF)...she batted 4th the rest of the day. :) And they commended her for stepping up. Great day! But I did remind her to keep pushin' ...and she will reap the rewards.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You need to get your DD on a team with girls her own age and ability. There is no substitute for experience and your DD would be much better off getting significant playing time (and mound time if she wants to pitch) vs. playing up and always being one of the weaker kids on the roster. The ONLY time I recommend a kid playing up an age level is if they are good enough to be a starter at their preferred position!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
You need to get your DD on a team with girls her own age and ability. There is no substitute for experience and your DD would be much better off getting significant playing time (and mound time if she wants to pitch) vs. playing up and always being one of the weaker kids on the roster. The ONLY time I recommend a kid playing up an age level is if they are good enough to be a starter at their preferred position!

She's earning the playing time as I mentioned in my post above yours. She stepped up and the coaches totally noticed that. The coaching staff is REALLY good, and I cannot find better at her age level. I talked with the head coach on Monday night with concerns about the team moving up to 16U in the fall. He said that he plans on splitting the team up into 14U and 16U so Megan will still fit in. I was very relieved to hear that. :) We are happy where she's at.

Apr 1, 2010
I will shut up now. They noticed her. She had a great round robin performance on Sunday and played every game (as pitcher or 1B). First game, she batted last in line-up...hit a single and triple (to the freakin' fence CF)...she batted 4th the rest of the day. :) And they commended her for stepping up. Great day! But I did remind her to keep pushin' ...and she will reap the rewards.

That's great, maksoftball. It's such a relieved, happy moment when you've been concerned for your child and then see her earn a big success! Good for her!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach