Question about step and reach rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Runner on first and second batter hits a ground ball to SS, runner that was on 2nd jumps over the ball no contact with ball or fielder. SS was about 3 ft behind where runner jumps over ball. UMP calls the runner out and sites the step and reach rule for the reason. Could some of you fine men and wemen in blue clarify this rule for me.

ASA RULES!

Mar 13, 2010
There was a thread on this not long ago. (and I got schooled!)

As long as there's no contact there's no obstruction.

Jun 22, 2008
To add, step and reach is a FED rule and applies to situations where a fielder has made an initial play on a batted ball, has muffed the play and the ball can reasonably be expected to be fielded by the same player and the ball is still within a "step and a reach". As described in your post, even in FED the step and reach rule would not apply. The umpire would need to judge purely on wether the runner interfered with the fielder interfered with the defensive player making a play on the ball or not.

Jun 22, 2008
Stopping in front of the fielder, stutter stepping in front of the fielder, running to close in front of the fielder, or interference could even be verbal. Fielder moving to catch a pop fly ball in no mans land and a runner starts yelling "I got it".

May 27, 2008
Pace, FL
There was a thread on this not long ago. (and I got schooled!)

As long as there's no contact there's no obstruction.

Not true, Lozza. Contact is not required for Obstruction or Interference. In this situation, INT was called (sounds like the ump kicked the call, but HTBT to be sure). He certainly kicked the explanation. "Step and a reach" is a Fed concept, and as explained above, applies after a fielder as mishandled the batted ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA