Question about a tie in pool play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In a similar vein, I encountered something this weekend I hadn't seen before. The weather was unseasonably rainy/foggy, and the Saturday games were under a hour and a half start delay. To get everything back on track, they shortened the games to 50 minutes drop-dead, which we've encountered before, but the kicker was...if the current inning hadn't been completed in full at the expiration of time, the score reverted back to what it was at the end of the last full inning. Every drop-dead game I've ever been present at previously, the score in place when time expires stood, regardless of whether the home team had their chance to bat.

Every game I've ever been involved with that had a "drop dead" time (ASA tournaments and rec league in So Cal) has included conditions about the score reverting back to the last completed inning. These rules always favor the home team.

Jul 2, 2013
The key is almost always RUNS ALLOWED.

You gave up 10 runs in a game. Want to complain about something else.

I have no pity.

Apr 29, 2013
The key is almost always RUNS ALLOWED.

You gave up 10 runs in a game. Want to complain about something else.

I have no pity.

Jeesh, you guys are reading a LOT more emotion into this than I actually feel. It was just a question! And it wasn't runs allowed, it was differential. Big difference.

I certainly wasn't looking for pity. Good grief!

Apr 29, 2013
Sorry you feel that way as not meant to come off that way. Sometimes I can get a little short with people as I deal with the public a lot during a day and can be a little stressful. But how many times did people have to post that the game is over after the winning run scored. Tie breakers do not change basic rules of the game. All teams played by the same rules and all rules were known to everybody. Seemed like you were searchin for somebody to say you were cheated.

BTW, your post wasn't Saturday night asking about the tiebreaker rule, it was Sunday night after the tourney.

So again, sorry if you think I came off short with you.

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Just to clarify, the question about the run differential came up after the last Saturday game. I just didn't think to ask about it until we were home on Sunday afternoon. I would have asked about it whether we'd won our bracket games or not. It was something I was curious about.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Just to clarify, the question about the run differential came up after the last Saturday game. I just didn't think to ask about it until we were home on Sunday afternoon. I would have asked about it whether we'd won our bracket games or not. It was something I was curious about.

Just curious...Where was this tournament? All the tournaments we play use (in order) win-loss record, head-to-head, runs allowed, runs scored, and coin-flip as tie breakers. I'm wondering if this might be a regional thing, or maybe even a tournament-specific thing.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
I agree regarding ASA and unsanctioned tourneys in SoCal. TD's for other sanctions that provide automated tournament management software will follow what is provided. For instance, Triple Crown uses run differential here in SoCal.

TRIPLE CROWN POOL PLAY RULES
Two Way Tie: Same Pool

1.Win-Loss Record
2.Head to Head
3.Total Run differential
4.Least Runs Allowed

Three Way Tie: Same Pool
1.Total run differential
2.Least runs allowed
3.Most runs scored
4.Coin Flip

IMPORTANT: Point differential maximum
1. Forfeits will be scored 7-0
2. Maximum run spread per game is 7 regardless of score.

Apr 29, 2013
Just curious...Where was this tournament? All the tournaments we play use (in order) win-loss record, head-to-head, runs allowed, runs scored, and coin-flip as tie breakers. I'm wondering if this might be a regional thing, or maybe even a tournament-specific thing.

In Washington State. It was a small (10 team) NSA tournament.

Scarecrow

Former Coach
May 7, 2008
Heartland of America
Interesting... Washington NSA tiebreakers are as follows (from http://www.nsawa.com/NSA_Rules_2014.pdf )

Tie Breakers:
A) Record (4th round robin game does not count in that teams record)
B) Head to Head competition (If all teams tied have played each other)
C) Total run Differential- Max 8 runs per game
D) Least runs allowed
E) Total runs scored
F) Coin Flip
G) (4th round robin game does not count in that teams record or points)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd