Question about a tie in pool play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Run differential is a terrible tie breaker. Not only for the reason states in the op. But the pool often comes down to who had less mercy on the worst team in the pool. If you pitch your worst pitcher and move your back up players into the lineup and win by 7. And another team keeps riding their horse and keeps all the regular starters in and wins by 15. They get rewarded.

And yes the rules of the game are the rules. But in pool play the "game" is stretched out to be all the games equal one game when run-diff is looked at as the main tie breaker.

Most of the time when we see run differential it's capped at 8 so you can't run up the score. Always pick away in these tournaments. I actually like this tiebreaker as it allows you to throw some newer pitchers in without the 3 runs they allow killing you.

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
We played over the weekend and had a 4-1 record. We had two pools, 5 in each pool, the one loss was in our pool but we had one game with a team from the other pool and beat them, of course that team won their pool. We didn't win our pool so home we went. Its the way it goes sometimes.

Apr 29, 2013
You never answered my question...did the team you played the next game beat you?

Sorry, I missed your question the first time. Well, this all happened during our third game of pool play, so there wasn't another one after that. Our team got beat in the first game of bracket play, though, the next morning. The team that got seeded ahead of us got a bye the first round of finals.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
So , say you were ahead by one run after 6 innings and you then shut down the visiting team in top of 7th , you would expect to get to bat anyway in bottom of 7th to score more runs? :p I sure hope not

This actually happened to me as an umpire in a tournament where run differential was a tie breaker. It was the first pool play game of the tournament......

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
In a similar vein, I encountered something this weekend I hadn't seen before. The weather was unseasonably rainy/foggy, and the Saturday games were under a hour and a half start delay. To get everything back on track, they shortened the games to 50 minutes drop-dead, which we've encountered before, but the kicker was...if the current inning hadn't been completed in full at the expiration of time, the score reverted back to what it was at the end of the last full inning. Every drop-dead game I've ever been present at previously, the score in place when time expires stood, regardless of whether the home team had their chance to bat.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Sorry, I missed your question the first time. Well, this all happened during our third game of pool play, so there wasn't another one after that. Our team got beat in the first game of bracket play, though, the next morning. The team that got seeded ahead of us got a bye the first round of finals.

Every once in a while it's nice to go home early.

Also, try and find tournament that offer double elimination. Pool play is usually (at least a little) less important.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

That's what I thought. Thanks for answering. I wasn't talking about the next pool play, I was talking about bracket play. I would have put my entire bat inventory on the answer that you just gave me and I would still have my inventory.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207