Pticher upper body has matured affecting mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
Daughter is a junior in high school and has been a dominant pitcher the past few years. Experiencing problems keeping arm circle close to ear on way up and stomach on way down and this appears due to her upper body maturing. Also now tends to bend head/upper body back during pitch my guess is an attempt to free up lane to power line due to change in body. Any advice on how to adjust mechanics / body posture during pitch due to change in body would be greatly appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When my DD was your DD's age, she developed the same problem. We actually saw an orthopedist, a physical therapist and a guy with a degree in kinesiology.
Anyway, DD wasn't able to overcome her poor general posture and developed into a fine 1st baseman and OF.

Yours might be more successful, though. Mine had had too many other rehabs and didn't want to pitch that bad.

What about using a Finch Windmill?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Ptcherdad, I am assuming you mean maturing in the "womanly way". If so I don't know why proper mechanics don't allow her to throw the same unless she didn't have proper mechanics before and now they are getting in the way.

Nov 29, 2009
Ptcherdad, I am assuming you mean maturing in the "womanly way". If so I don't know why proper mechanics don't allow her to throw the same unless she didn't have proper mechanics before and now they are getting in the way.

PD,

Unless there is pain or some other issue involved she should have no problems. Is this something you're noticing or has she said something about it? It sounds like it's something in the base mechanics that is off. My DD is quite "womanly" and had no trouble as will her arm circle and keeping is close to the body all the way through college.

The biggest problems I see with girls from the 12 - 15 year old age range is with the hips. They will start hitting their hip with with their pitching arm during the onset of puberty. This is the time when good hip turn mechanics have to be revisited and worked on to get them out of the way.

May 7, 2008
Pitcherdad: I'm not sure I understand what you mean about bending the head and upper body back in an attempt to free her arm. If on the stride she opens correctly and lands the front foot when her arm is at 3:00, going past the ear should not be an issue regardless of her size. Keeping the arm next to the leg as it reaches the snap point can also be part of this timing issue. When a pitcher does not open all the way the arm circle will drift away from the body and if they begin to close their hips before the hand is past, this can also cause the problem. Having her chin up, after landing her stride leg, is excellent for keeping the shoulders back and helping to keep the weight back. I see no problem with that. Without a video though, I can only speculate as to what her problem could be. Rich

jaguars2010

Mar 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Pitcherdad:
Being a coach and a coach of a DD pitcher (now playing college ball) I have seen this happen but not both to the same pitcher.

If I understand your post the problem could be resolved with two drills. The first (dropping the head): If her hair is long enough for a pony tail, hold the pony tail and walk with her as she is warming up. This will keep her head up and shoulders level giving her a nice line. Another drill that may help is to get 2 six foot (long) round banisters (poles) you holding one in each hand and laying one on each of her shoulders. Have her do her step and push off the pitcher's plate keeping the shoulders in contact with the poles. This will not only help with delivery posture but also work on leg strength.
I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g