Protecting the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
Do you teach batters to use a "contact swing" when they have two strikes and need to protect the plate? If so, how does it differ from their normal swing?

Feb 17, 2011
Depeding on player and the pitcher of course a protect swing would be opening up the front foot about three inches and choking up on the bat about two inches. opening up to get a better look and choking up to stay quick to the ball.

Jan 25, 2011
sorry would rater have dd strike out then change her swing just to make contact,she hasn't worked for 2 years with her bc just to make some weak contact,well thats my 2 cents,take it or leave it.

Oct 25, 2009
With 2 strikes the batter needs to battle. If it's close enough to hit, hit it hard. Make something happen. Don't be an easy out. Foul as many as necessary until you get a good one to hit. I tell the players to "keep hitting it until you hit it!"

Jan 25, 2011
thanks ffs,good article,my dd seems to get better hits with 2 strikes,must be her focus gets better.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We teach Attack mode with 2 strike counts. We have them load, go to toe touch and separate the hands slightly rearward and wait for the pitch.

Good SBF ... don't forget to leave room for the 1-inch punch ... also, regarding the 'wait' ... there is still a similar sequence that takes place ... just with the front foot already on the ground.

Here's Michael Young ... with less than two strikes on the left ... with two strikes on the right.

2061npl.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi