proceed with caution rant ahead.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2012
So maybe I am a bit of a slow learner but....

The biggest problem with youth sports today is parents! Love the girls on my team its a great group if I could coach them without parents it would be a dream come true. They seem to always interject there opinion on what and how the daughters do things. Seriously to the point of telling them that if the would like to volunteer there time to coach they can have the same say so that I do. This year has opened my eyes to alot of things. Made me question myself as to if I have ever been that parent and sadly I have to say yes but I feel now I have learned a lesson.

what I cant figure out is why there is so much more drama from the parents side in softball than in baseball?

Guess my biggest thing is if your a parent be a parent. Encourage encourage encourage support your daughter your player. Let the coach do the coaching. And most importantly remember that this is a game not the mlb they will make mistakes the coach will blow a call nobodys perfect. But they are kids playing a kids game and before you know it it will be over if your ready or not.

rant end, feel better, even if it makes no sense lol.

Jun 24, 2013
what I cant figure out is why there is so much more drama from the parents side in softball than in baseball?

Is that a joke?

I understand what you are saying but on the teaching side I spend more time and invest more money into my DD then you do. I do not “interfere” but I pay close attention to what she is being taught and ask if I have a question/ concern.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Agree with James...I am a coach and a parent, I know my kids strength/weaknesses/hot buttons/motivation centers better than any coach ever will. I would be doing a disservice to a coach if I did not share my knowledge with them. At the same time it is our duty as parents to allow the coach to coach and support them as best we can. Some parents are overly critical of coaches and expect them to be perfect, we aren't. as a coach we expect parents to be trouble free and they aren't. When you agree to coach, you agree to manage parent expectations too.

as for drama in baseball vs. softball? I don't have boys so I don't know, but a buddy of mine does and his baseball drama stories beat my softball drama hands down.

Jun 19, 2012
I applaud you for being active in your childs development. Yes you do invest time and money in to her. I am not talking about the parents that come and ask questions or express concerns. I know I am not perfect I know I am learning also. Its the parent/s that micro manage that kills me.

For example "player A"
coach tells "player a" to cover ball up "gator ball" after pop fly. "Player A " looks at parent for approval first.
by all means if you have a question about how or what am I teaching then ask me after practice.

Oct 10, 2011
So maybe I am a bit of a slow learner but....

The biggest problem with youth sports today is parents! Love the girls on my team its a great group if I could coach them without parents it would be a dream come true. They seem to always interject there opinion on what and how the daughters do things. Seriously to the point of telling them that if the would like to volunteer there time to coach they can have the same say so that I do. This year has opened my eyes to alot of things. Made me question myself as to if I have ever been that parent and sadly I have to say yes but I feel now I have learned a lesson.

Guess my biggest thing is if your a parent be a parent. Encourage encourage encourage support your daughter your player. Let the coach do the coaching. And most importantly remember that this is a game not the mlb they will make mistakes the coach will blow a call nobodys perfect. But they are kids playing a kids game and before you know it it will be over if your ready or not.

rant end, feel better, even if it makes no sense lol.

I think the internet is a good place to rant:) I am curious though, as I'm not a coach, if you get upset if a parent has questions about how you are coaching...technique, etc...

Jun 19, 2012
I love a parents input. Of course you know how to bring the animal out in your child. But it takes a TEAM effort.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I have been on both sides of this issue. I still coach at the rec ball level and have no children on the team. Been doing it for years. It is extremely fun for me BUT parents do feel the need to educate me on their little athlete from time to time. Some can be more annoying than others.
I try to assure them that I've been coaching softball for years and their dd is in good hands.
Try to rise above it and remember you are there for your team. Most sports parents are a little crazy!

Jun 24, 2013
You can tell which parents have a child going thru baseball or softball for the first time, unfortunately you need to teach the parents too. Either in a meeting or in writing you need to explain to them how you want them to behave and how to communicate with you.

Not coaching from the stands or bothering you(or their child) during a game/ practice is high on the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06