Problems with Eroding Team Chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
Have the defensive lapses and slumping hitting been addressed for what they are? Is the player sniping on a purely personal level or is it performance driven? How much practice time is devoted to fundamentals rather than "finer points?" Is there a core of kids that are untouchable at their positions/batting order? Is "Daddyball" an issue?

Apr 6, 2012
Team chemistry is something that has to be nurtured and developed, but it can't be artificially created. As coaches, it's up to us to help develop these players as good people. When we had tryouts this year, we told girls, " We don't only want good players but we want good people. We want people you will want to play with and be around all Fall and summer." That's what we tried to focus on.

During practices, we try to change groups, do some fun drills that create both competition and team work, etc. During our first tournaments, the girls hung out together and seem to be bonding. ( It's early yet.) When there was one small problem, we addressed it immediately.

Another thing that I think is important is how the coaches treat everyone. If we are true to our values as to how we interact with players, it will help.

Jun 21, 2012
I have seen this happen before to my team. I was at a loss. I tried team bonding, I tried more fundamental practice, and I tried giving a short break. Nothing seemed to work. During the off-season, I reflected and then concentrated on me. I studied, read, and sought ideas just like you are.

Here is what I did the following season. I focused mainly on the mental portion of the athlete. We did our drills, we did our team bondings, we did our fundamentals. But each drill or exercise had a mental aspect incorporated.

The brain is a muscle. And it sounds like the girls frustration is coming from lack of confidence in their abilities which translate to a lack of confidence in their team abilities, which adds to the snipping and so forth. My suggestion is to start incorporating various routines to help the girls focus on the immediate task at hand.

I implemented a verbal routine that the girls say when they are on-deck, then they say it again when they enter the batter's box. The girls have a routine for when there is a missed play. One girl will sprint to the girl who made an error and slap gloves with her, the rest of the team shouts, "Be here now!" so that we all understand the play is over and we need to focus on the next pitch.

I work hard on getting the girls to not dwell, and find ways to not give them time to get upset about a play. We refocus and worry about what is to come, not what has came.

Hope this helps some.
Bill

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I implemented a verbal routine that the girls say when they are on-deck, then they say it again when they enter the batter's box. The girls have a routine for when there is a missed play. One girl will sprint to the girl who made an error and slap gloves with her, the rest of the team shouts, "Be here now!" so that we all understand the play is over and we need to focus on the next pitch.

I work hard on getting the girls to not dwell, and find ways to not give them time to get upset about a play. We refocus and worry about what is to come, not what has came.

I like this!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi